Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One of those days...

Default Re: One of those days...

Sorry to hear about your bad day Josh. We all have had days like that.

I just spent the last week trying to figure a serious problem out. I had an issue with my plane right before the condition inspection caused by a severe kickback on a start. I needed to change my starter and the cluster gear (in the accessory section). I also upgraded my remote oil filter with an adapter so it will filter my oil immediately after the oil pump. Due to the previous location of the oil filter I had metal in my oil filter and the oil pressure relief valve, which caused low oil pressure. Anyways, after opening the engine accessory section and making the repairs I did the first startup and only had 12-14 PSI oil pressure. I suspected the oil system wasn't primed and did the easier, #2 method in the Continental maintenance manual. I also tested the accuracy of the oil pressure sensor. I was 100% sure this would solve the problem because it had 16 psi just cranking the engine. When I started the engine it still had 12 psi. So I did the preferred method of oil priming according to the manual (using a pressure pot and purging the engine at the oil pressure port till oil flowed out at the rocker box covers). Again I got 17 psi cranking the engine and I was 99.9% certain "this has fixed it". I started the engine a 3rd time and only had 8-10 PSI ??? This thing was kicking my butt. Finally I considered there might be blockage of the oil system, not lack of priming. One thing that came to mind was the new plumbing to my remote oil filter. I checked the two hoses and found I had REVERSED them. The oil was trying to flow backwards through the oil filter and was totally or severely restricted. I just fixed the problem yesterday, including installing a new oil filter. I plan to do the run-up today and am optimistically 99.8% certain this will solve the problem.

I like the comment about calling it quits after 2 mistakes. One of the evenings last week I just needed to stay home and do something else.

I have applied that principle to flying too . . . have you ever had a day when you aren't even in the air yet and and you missed a couple of big things? It might be good to just taxi back to the hanger.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    I just spent the last week trying to figure a serious problem out. I had an issue with my plane right before the condition inspection caused by a severe kickback on a start. ...
    I’m curious if you know what caused the kickback, Phil. I’m very aware of an issue with conventional Bendix-style combination key switches, used with Lycoming & Continental engines that can cause a severe kickback like you described. I watched a friend attempt to start his RV-4 once when such a kickback broke the starter right off the engine and really messed up the ring gear at the same time. It’s happened to many others, and is one of the reasons so many builders have gone to a separate switch for the start function.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

That's exactly what happened John. When I released my ignition switch I got the kickback from my right mag, which has no starting means and is at 26 degrees BTDC. I have a lightweight prop, so there isn't any flywheel affect. During the inspection I installed another switch to manually kill that mag during the start.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016