Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any flying Kitfoxes in TN, GA, AL?

Default Any flying Kitfoxes in TN, GA, AL?

I just bought back a nearly completed Kitfox from a friend that I sold it to over 10 years ago. I'm hoping to get an encouraging word from pilots flying their completed projects. I also know of an interesting place to fly to where hang gliders are towed up by Dragon Fly experimental planes with 914 turbos.

Default Re: Any flying Kitfoxes in TN, GA, AL?

Congrats Mikeee. That airplane needs to be finished and flown. Hope you're airborne soon. You'll love being a Kitfox owner/pilot.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks Desertfox4. I appreciate your encouragement. Since you seem to be experienced, I have a question for you. The gas caps were off the wing tanks and there was a mud dabbers mud pack inside the tank so i have been trying to figure out a plan for how to clean the tanks. Any ideas on how to do it and what to use? They are standard Kitfox wing tanks and I haven't yet determined if Kit fox used fiberglass or just what to make the tanks. It's a Kitfox 3. Since the plane was stored for over 10 years, I am replacing all the fuel line, the fuel pump and anything else I see along the way that looks like it could be a problem.

If anyone else has useful info for me, jump in.

If the wings aren’t covered yet, I recommend replacing the tanks with new tanks from kitfox that are ethanol resistant. Many people have had issues with the old tanks.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh for that info. The wings are covered, but I won't hesitate to cut back the stitz and replace the tanks if that turns out to be my only option. I'd like to figure out what kind of chemical to use for cleaner and give it a try before cutting back the Stitz. I'll need to find out what material the tanks are made out of to figure out what chemical cleaner to use. I guess I'll call the factory for that.

It's mud. Why would it not be sufficient to fill the tank with water for a bit?
    Eddie

You know, Eddie, maybe the answer is that simple. Usually I'm trying to get water out of a gas tank not in. I think I'm going to try water unless a better idea comes up. Thanks alot.

You can rinse the water out with alcohol such as methyl hydrate as it ussually absorbs water.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Excellent idea, Josh. The factory suggested MEK, but told me if my tank was aluminum and had been "creamed", the MEK would remove some of the cream process so I would have to remove it all. Big job, no thanks. I like the alchohol idea after water. I'll look at it thru a scope too. Then I'll avoid gas with ethanol so my tanks might last a while. Maybe I won't have to remove these tanks.

This project is looking easier with all the good suggestions I am getting.
    Thanks guys!!!

So are there any flying Kitfox tail dragers in TN,AL or GA that can give me a ride. I'll cover your costs whatever they are and then some. I just want to see what it's like to land in one. I don't have to fly it, a ride is good enough. I can get a tail drager sign off elsewhere, however if there is a CFI who can do the tail drager sign off in a Kitfox that's even better. Flying up to Idaho to go to their stick and rudder school is a stretch financially.