Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Thanks Eddie. I need to spend some time watching videos and practicing on exposed ribs.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

It seemed pointless to repeatedly post, "covering wing", but today the first wing is completed and that's worth a post.

Rib lacing was done with flat waxed, running it through an alcohol damped rag. Little if any wax residue while lacing. Paid attention to drenching each lace while gluing before the reinforcing tapes covered the job. Got carried away and ran a thumbnail along the sides of the 1" anti-chafe tape and the laces to make crisp lines. You can spend a lot of time fussing with stuff like that.

One of my two primary instructors, auto-tow at the Fault Line Flyers Club in the Austin area, was Eddie Ross. This club died and was rejuvenated a couple of times and I happened to join just as it was coming back from the dead. Before the start of the organization meeting there were a handful of past members, me and two other snotty nosed kids in our early 20s sitting around when this older guy and his wife came in the room. My thought was how neat it was this old guy was interested enough to watch us fly gliders. Over the next few months I became friends with this giant of aviation history. After a couple of beers he would tell stories of barnstorming, flying cross-country at night and dropping flares to find the runway, his shock that the government thought pilots needed pieces of paper, and on and on. Eddie was Waldo Pepper come to life! His license took several pages and we got used to him being whisked away to give instruction to various companies new pilots. He was one of my primary instructors and, after becoming an instructor, I had the honor of endorsing his grandson so Eddie could do his check ride. Every year a beautiful Staggerwing Beech would drop out of the sky, pick up Eddie and his wife, and fly them to the annual gathering of Staggerwings. Years back, he had taken delivery of the first Staggerwing and Beech made several changes to the design based on feedback from his flying experiences and honored him at these gatherings. The Beech Staggerwing Museum houses the "Eddie Ross Restoration Center". What on earth does this have to do with covering a wing? With that background, I used the "Staggerwing Knot" in my lacing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Nice work Carl! From this distance I can't even see your laces. I bet you can see mine from Texas.
    Eddie

This little jewel is the Garmin GMU 11 Magnetometer, weighing all of 2.5 oz. Before covering the second wing, I want to make certain the electrical noise from the MicroSun Landing and Nav / Strobe LEDs aren't a problem. The Garmin system will test the interference but first there's a bit of wiring to do.

"Oh, the knee bone connects to the thigh bone..."

Err, "The GMU 11 connects to the GSU 25..."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Speaking of you visiting Texas to admire the Spring Bluebonnets. I have these rough cowling parts sitting in the spare room and an engine mount that needs wrestling...
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Im in the garage today tackling the little tear drop shape bumps on the top cowl. I wish I had taken the composites sport air workshop. Its the only one I have not taken and I am enjoying this cowling install If I may say so. I think this time I will go get some fiberglass and fix it into the cowl that way instead of hysol. We'll see how that goes. After I go cut these holes I will be doing the cam locks on the perimeter of the cowls.

Hi Eddie - great progress with the cowl. Are you fitting the bumps because you need the clearance or just for the look of them? I didn't need the clearance so didnt bother with them. It will be interesting to see how they look.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

It does look very nice, Carl! FWIW, I too did the Staggerwing knot, and also ran my fingernail down the sides of the lacing.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Of course you did, John.

I used the I-think-it's-right-knot that got tight and held, so it must be good enough technique.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

With all that red Carl, I think we should start calling you "The Red Baron" !!. Wing covering looks really good. And the Story of "Waldo Pepper Eddie" is a nice little ditty, and well written.
    David
    SS7 Builder