Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear spar finish tape

Default Re: Rear spar finish tape

Tape on rear spars was also recommended by a local fabric aircraft refurbishing business friend. He's an A&P and has done beautiful work for years.
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying

I just finished heat tightening, and there is very little clearance between the fabric and the spar. Definitely makes sense now.

The top of the wing is low pressure in flight (it sucks). With just the finish tape over the fabric at the spar (it touches at every bay) I've had no sign of wear in 1,300 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Floog View Post
    If I recall, the build manual suggests putting anti-chaff tape along the top of the rear spar which I did not do.
    I think I misread this the first time, Floog. I didn’t use anti-chaff there either. Just finish tape. I mistakenly thought that was what you were talking about. Thinking about it, the spar surface is (or should be) smooth, and the anti-chaff tape has a rougher, softer surface. Little particles of dirt or whatever would probably become embedded & stuck to the surface of the tape over time, potentially causing more wear than the bare metal. I think it’s all pretty academic, in this instance anyway (I’m sure everyone else does too). I didn’t receive any anti-chaff tape in my kit at all. I had to buy a full roll from Debra, and I believe that she said they hardly used any on their builds.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime