Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: VFR panel ideas ??

Default Re: VFR panel ideas ??

Ken's it what my wife would want. Jim's is almost what I would want (just remote mount the radio, with a built in intercom, and hide a smaller compass elsewhere.....perfect)

I have been asked many times what I would do if my glass panel suddenly went dark since I have no backup gauges. I would simply fly the plane by looking out the window, which is what I do most of the time anyway. I can hold approach speeds pretty close by flying a slight positive AOA by watching the underside of the wing against the horizon. I am a sport pilot so I don't fly at night.

To be honest, I do carry some backups: Sporty's handheld radio w/VOR navigation, some out-of-date paper charts, smartphone with Avare, etc. on it, and maybe soon an iPad with Foreflight.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have to agree with Jim O 100%.......old style or new panel....we should all be able to maintain control of the aircraft if any of the stuff on the panel dies. I have some vague recollection that is what we were all originally taught.

Back in my rental days.......it seemed that something was going to quit on you no matter what degree of technology occupied the panel....most common was radios, electrical system and vacuum instruments and an occasional glob of crud up the pitot tube.

I always kept a supply of post it notes, in addition to using them for notes, they were handy covering up the somewhat distracting failed vacuum instruments - which always seemed to coincide with vis of 4-6.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I've been a CFII MEI for 45 years, I've always taught the primary instrument is what you see through the windshield.
    As many have commented in recent years, the latest crop of avionics, from moving maps to MFD etc tend to draw pilots, especially newer pilots eyes from being outside the cockpit to the panel. I forget what the FAA recommends for percentage of eyes outside the cockpit, I think it was something like 80%, I always taught 99% outside, a quick glance certain instruments is all you need to attain the desired information.
    Most of your 5 senses are instruments and can be applied to flying, eyes, for attitude, and even altitude to a degree, ears, for Airspeed and power settings, touch, how the airplane feels and is trimmed, and even smell can be used to detect a possible engine problem ie; smoke etc.
    Eyes being in the cockpit will probably get worse in the future when pilots will be staring at the displays looking for traffic, instead of again, a quick glance will do.
    Safe Flying.
    Brian

Brian,

Excellent post, I have only been flying for about 20 years and when I fly with folks with the new glass panels I get very worried especially in the pattern, eyes are not outside. I like new tech stuff also but eyes, smell and your butt are much further ahead of the curve than all the glass. Kudos again on your post.

Intended to pass on this but need to share an old experience. In 1962 flying out of Waukesha WI, in a Cessna 140 ...only steam gauges... Instructor took me to a marsh with a few trees and we flew around them. (Former Navy flight instructor) Reason, I insisted on looking at the gadgets, as few as there were. He made his point and I have always flown with eyes outside since. Hate even to look down at a chart. Airplanes are not video games.
    Remember rule 1... Fly the airplane.
    Strongly agree with these recent posts
    Bud
    Bud
    IV Speedster
    912 UL
    IVO ground adjustable

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Davidson View Post
    Intended to pass on this but need to share an old experience. In 1962 flying out of Waukesha WI, in a Cessna 140 ...only steam gauges... Instructor took me to a marsh with a few trees and we flew around them. (Former Navy flight instructor) Reason, I insisted on looking at the gadgets, as few as there were. He made his point and I have always flown with eyes outside since. Hate even to look down at a chart. Airplanes are not video games.
    Remember rule 1... Fly the airplane.
    Strongly agree with these recent posts
    Bud
    This is one of the reasons ground reference maneuvers are required for a private pilot certificate.

VFR panel means a lot of different things
    to different pilots.

My definition is pretty simple.

I wanted minimal but talked myself into
    a turn coordinator because it was free.

CHT and EGT are there to keep the engine
    Running.
    Oh, yeah, I got a good deal on the VSI too.

No glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John,

Ended up with the same 4 flight instruments you have and no glass (other than the literal glass in the form of the little round disks covering the faces of the aforementioned instruments).

Also wanted to keep it simple, inexpensive and spend most of the time gazing out the window. I never had any intention or desire to make our kitfox an IFR machine.

Wentworth has an airplane junkyard in Minneapolis down the street from me and I found that not only are there a lot of parts from junked airplanes; but, they have tons and tons of non-glass gear because of all the folks pulling stuff out to put in glass. The instruments I got from Wentworth were not very old either.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

You guys may have got the right idea. I bet when all my glass stuff becomes outdated as my computers and phones do in 5 years, I will be wishing I had the classic stuff too.
    Eddie