Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: #Northernfox Build

Default Re: #Northernfox Build

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Riv-Nuts sound like a great idea... until you have to get one loose that has spun/stripped the hole it is supposed to be locked into.

Ralph
    Sure, but given it's location what does it really matter? If you had to access it with just the standard nut you'd have no chance anyway since it'll be covered by fabric.

It's more than worth the very small risk of that happening.

Actually, I realize my mistake here too... rivnut isn't the correct terminology... it's a nutplate with 2 rivits.

Ahhh, there it is, a nut plate. Wish I had figured that out before I covered. I used nut plates on the baggage floor but that came later. The first thing I installed on the airframe was the pedals so I hadn't gotten the wiser by then.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I agree, nutplates are the better way to go than rivnuts. Nutplates NEVER spin.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The other option, that I chose, was to cut holes in the firewall "tail" big enough to accommodate the appropriate size socket (for the MS21043 nuts that I used) and then cover the holes with snap in plastic covers obtained from the Ace Hardware aviation department. I also put some mild adhesive (forget what kind) on the covers for extra security.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Making sure the wings fit correctly and that all dimensions are correct.
    20180919_122846.jpg
    20180919_122455.jpg

This was from when it was sent out to get re powder coated.
    20180621_085222.jpg

Just getting the engine mount set and everything lined up.
    20180919_151709.jpg

Certainly no trouble with space there. Brings back a bit of nervous memory.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Well been busy since my last post. Some of that busy time actually working on the plane.

First I had to get this job out of the way before it gets too cold. Was way more effort than I expected. About 800 lbs of concrete all by myself.

With that out of the way I moved onto the door frames. I had to remove them when I re-painted the frame so I just bought new material.

Now, I'm a bit confused as per the image below. What is detail B? If i look at instruction 176 as labeled, it has nothing to do with it. I also can't find the part. My buddy says it's not on the 7 (mine is a 6).

Got the tail back together as well. Everything installed and lined up as per spec. Since I also lost the tail ribs when re-painting I decided just to order up new ones. Could have used the old, but I figure the time spent cleaning them up would have easily covered the cost of getting them new. Fit them up and stuck them in place.

Moving right along it was decided that the wings needed some attention. These were not factory built - but done from scratch by the original builder. Although done fairly well, it was obvious - especially when compared to a factory build wing - that it was lacking some hysol. I had several of the smaller ribs just pop of from looking at them.

So, first step was to build a wing jig. Well, two of them.

Then a little elbow grease to roughen up what was there to allow a little extra hysol to get a hold. Acetone cleanup before hand as well with and some scotchbright.

A bit blurry, but this was a before shot.

And after

I also had a bit of a bent tube under the seats. A little finessing and it's back to being good enough.

This is a before pic

Here are some pics of the rudder pedal nutplates I added.

Next is finish up the wings I think. The rest of the smaller ribs and add the bottom false ribs. Then wing two.

Well, more progress is always great. I'm aiming to get my pre-cover inspection by MD-RA here in Canada in the next 2-3 weeks. I think that would be a big step.

After a lot of back and forth with the BetterFabric team about Oratex and figuring out exactly how much I need and a lot of talk with technical team about gluing vs rib stitching oratex I have my order ready to go. I'm pretty nervous as any screw up in calculations is going to be costly.

I'm going with a two color scheme and purchasing 1st grade backed material (not translucent). It's going to run about 8k USD for everything. Oratex has a lot of options though. If you get 2nd grade non-backed material, and depending on color, it can cost WAY less. Like 1000s less. So don't be put off.

With that decision out of the way and purchasing the pitot tube (garmin regulated) I should have what I need to get everything covered.

So, what have I gotten done...First I've been playing around with the floor boards. I've gone with ABS over the balsa. I tried some different arrangements of cuts, but decided the best is the original pattern. It came out awesome in my opinion. It has a little less strength lengthwise where the console side attaches, but some thin angle and hysol makes it super strong. It's slightly heaver by a few ounces, but should last longer. It'll be wet a lot given I'll be doing a lot of winter flying.

I also got the fiberglass piece back on the tail. I was happy after removal that it went back on fine. It's not perfectly straight (as in it's a bit wavy from the heat when I removed it).

Most of the work has been on the wings. I noticed that several of my capstrips were warped. At this point there was no way to pull them out. So, a little heat and a little love and they were separated and twisted back straight and level. Some hysol to bond it all back together and we were good. I'll admin, it was a bit scary to hear *crack* as they were twisted and pulled into place.

All the top and bottom false ribs were hysoled in.

Next the tanks. These are the newer tanks and not original from the kit. 2017 date on them I believe. Had to chase the threads in the fittings to clean them up. They were not perfectly straight, but not much can be done about that.
    Did the leak check by blowing and then cleaned them out with that nasty stuff several times. Pretty dirty in there. Next all the fittings where added and the site gauge bent. We connected the tanks, filled them up partially and let it sit for a few days - just to make damn sure there was no leaks. One annoying thing is that the caps don't sit straight when on, i'll have to re-weld them as it's just going to annoy me too much.

Continued on to the trailing edge. Here I learned the there are 3 kinds of aviation snipers... and I only owned the ****ty yellow (straight) ones. Off to the store.

Tanks were ready and wings were ready, so in they went. I did remember to varnish the ribs before putting the tanks in. Phewf. Also had to do a bit of trimming as the tank edges were far from straight or square.

Talk to us about the fuel sight gauges please. What did you use? I would love to replace the soft tubing.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

You can bend those caps with two hands so they point straight
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3