Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: My rudder pedal reinforcement

Default My rudder pedal reinforcement

My best friend at work took my pedals and templets to the best welder in Indiana. Here’s what I have as the final product. Sorry it’s so hard to see being black on black.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: My rudder pedal reinforcement

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    My best friend at work took my pedals and templets to the best welder in Indiana. Here’s what I have as the final product. Sorry it’s so hard to see being black on black.
    I don't see any reinforcement on the cable pull arms. Also a place known to fail. Could be as you say "hard to see being black" or could be my old eyes.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

The person who did the welding told me that it would actually weaken that area, so he declined to weld in that area. I have seen one photo of a failure there, but I defer to the expert on this one. I was thinking about a safety cable around the vertical rudder pedal post and back to the cable end.

How many Kitfoxes has your expert owned? My Kitfox 1 rudder pedals were tearing loose in the place in question. Many others have also. I give up!

I went with the factory solution from John and Debra. Not shown are round tubes that you cut and slide inside the existing long horizontal tubes that the pedals are attached to. The last photo shows these inserts, and their location. The rivet holes pass through the existing tube, and the new inserts, for added strength. Long rivets are then installed along with structural adhesive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Quote Originally Posted by GWright6970 View Post
    I went with the factory solution from John and Debra. Not shown are round tubes that you cut and slide inside the existing long horizontal tubes that the pedals are attached to. The last photo shows these inserts, and their location. The rivet holes pass through the existing tube, and the new inserts, for added strength. Long rivets are then installed along with structural adhesive.
    A different setup than what I have. Thanks for the photos.