Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to see over your cowl easily

Default How to see over your cowl easily

I've had an idea for a few years now but keep forgetting to share it. So here goes;

This morning I was enjoying one of Trent's great videos on You Tube and heard him talking about how impossible it is to see forward when on the ground in his Kitfox due to big tires, extended gear, and the round cowl. That jarred my memory to share my idea of how we can easily gain forward visibility on airplanes that have poor or none forward visibility (remember a few years back where a TBM Avenger taxied "through" a RV-6 at OSH because the TBM had no forward visibility...) Tragic accidents like that don't have to happen. We are in the 20th century.

We need to utilize digital camera video technology to help us see what is in front of us. Why not mount a small camera high in the cabin that shows what you can't see at eye level? Or mount it in or under the cowl, under the gear, out on a wing strut, etc, etc. Anywhere that would give you a view that you otherwise wouldn't have. Then tie that video to a screen somewhere in the plane that you can easily see, like your Dynon, Garmin, an I-pad, or if you have to, even your smart phone. There are also readily available cheap Bluetooth cameras with apps that work with phones and tablets if you don't have a glass panel to tie into.

So we have all these cameras all over and in our plane that give us these mega-cool videos, but we still can't see what is in front of us when we are on the ground? We need to make better use of that technology.

I'm willing to bet this one silly little idea could save a lot of people from having accidents. But as far as I know, no one is doing it.

So maybe the Kitfox community could show the rest of the world how to do it, and help create a safety trend in aviation that is way over due.

Paul

Default Re: How to see over your cowl easily

One of MGLs EFIS products had an input for video just for this purpose.

Ralph

Forward looking camera(s) to see the blind spot are a good idea.

The issue I would see is focusing on the "TV" screen rather than the whole picture situational awareness.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I posted this several months back on my Kitfox 340 post. I mounted the camera to the left main gear and aimed the lens forward. Comes with a wi-fi router that can connect to your tablet or phone. Basically just add power and you have a very light system that provides a panoramic view of the ground in front of you.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...ra-system.html

P.S. 21st century...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Lots of back up cameras on ebay that would do what you are asking for if they point forward... JImChuk
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...em&_sacat=6000

This idea was a unintended side benefit when I first mounted my video cameras on the left lift strut. Using a gimbal and zoom, I needed something to help point the camera. The first monitor was mounted on the door because I wanted it on the same side as the camera. Looking at a guys airplane close by and then having to look at mid panel for the camera view seemed like a bad idea. I took a lot of pictures with the door open so the mount closed had a fairing that smoothed the air flow. The present one is in front of the panel as from the beginning, the panel was designed to have a monitor there. It is still on the left side for the same reasons. Regarding becoming fixated on the monitor image. It has to be a matter of self discipline. I have a lot of landing sequences "filmed" that had the camera pointed not quite right. Early on, I decided that at certain times the video was of secondary importance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Just put a nose gear on the airplane.

Ok sorry. Just couldn't help myself

Rodney

I believe Kevin Eldridge in the Sport Class Racer "Relentless" has a forward looking camera to aide him in taxiing.

The Dynon SkyView already has this capability.... not cheap though.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/video-input-adapter.php
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Another option...
    Use a $50.00 Dash Cam with monitor on back. Mount it to front carry through, right side. You can glance at the monitor and see nothing is hiding on that side. You don't need a big picture, just to see if anything is moving in on you. It makes it easier than S-turning.
    Another option, on Amazon there are also Bluetooth mini cams that you could mount more forward/under the right side and monitor on your mobile device.

Ralph