Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have Spruce make their rudder cables?

Default Anyone have Spruce make their rudder cables?

Hi guys. I'm thinking of having Spruce Specialties fab my rudder cables as they have never been changed and I don't own the tools to do it myself. Mine was first flown in '94 so I guess I'm a bit past the three year window per the Service Letter.

Default Re: Anyone have Spruce make their rudder cables?

Will be really hard to get the eyelets through the tubes welded onto the inside of the fuselage once both ends are on the cable. JImChuk

Oh crap! I have not been out to the barn since I printed those letters. I wondered if there were fairleads for the cables. What a pain. Sometimes there are two piece guides that come apart for pre-fab cables. Guess I gotta buy a new tool.

Just to be sure you need to change the cables. I see in your photo on the other thread you have the copper nicopress on the cable end. If the cables are steel and not stainless steel the cables are okay. If a magnet sticks to the cable they are steel.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    Just to be sure you need to change the cables. I see in your photo on the other thread you have the copper nicopress on the cable end. If the cables are steel and not stainless steel the cables are okay. If a magnet sticks to the cable they are steel.
    But from what I read, they have to be changed out within three years anyway. Am I reading too much into this?

Kitfox sells the Nicopress tool and eyelets, sleeves, etc. They are not very expensive. The manual tells how to do it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I don't get it, If there steel there OK but stainless steel is bad, That sounds just opposite of what a guy would think,

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    But from what I read, they have to be changed out within three years anyway. Am I reading too much into this?
    Okay, I went back and read service bulletin#52 again. I see now it is confusing as written.

My decision to not replace my cables is based on the statement in the bulletin...
    "The galvanized steel cables can be used with either sleeve".
    But, that's just my opinion. I'm not advising anyone to not replace their cables.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Tractor Supply sells two bolt cutter style crimpers for Nicopress type sleeves.
    One for $30 and one for $64. Find it in the electric fencing section.

Sleeves can be purchased at numerous locations. West Marine sells the real deal. West also sells a small bolt and wrench crimper for about $25. They work in a pinch but not easy to use.

John P

For some interesting information about weather to use stainless steel or galvanized rudder cables google search stainless steel or galvanized steel aircraft rudder cables.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder