Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: performance of tricycle gear vs tail tailwheel?

Question performance of tricycle gear vs tail tailwheel?

I am looking to buy a Kitfox and I was wondering what is the difference in the performance of a tricycle gear with pants vs a tail tailwheel Kitfox?

I already know about ground loops and higher insurance cost of a tailwheel Kitfox but what I am wondering is:

1. Does the tricycle gear with pants offer higher cruise speeds and or greater useful load?

2. If so what is the deference in speed and useful load?

3. Can I easily switch between a tricycle gear configuration and a tail tailwheel configuration?

Default Re: performance of tricycle gear vs tail tailwheel?

Some one can correct me but:

1. Tail dragger with wheel pants will have less drag than nose wheel with wheel pants and the nose wheel weighs more. So I think the tail dragger wins on this. Some kitfoxes are built with further aft C of G so the tail wheel can make it even further. Just check that out before you buy.

2. The difference would probably be less than 2-3 kts and about 20lbs heavier for the nose gear.

If you have a SS or a model 7(6?) you can change between them in an afternoon or less. The 5's are one or the other. Not sure about the 6's but I think they change. Someone else will chime in.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Flown many of both and noticed no significant difference in speed. They both fly the same once airborne.
    More to do with the quality of the entire build and how light the builder kept the project.
    That is comparing aircraft with same engine, prop and speed mods.
    Cruise speeds will vary in like models depending on engine prop and speed mods.
    Esser is pretty close on wheel pants getting you 2 extra knots in speed.
    The speed mod with the biggest return on investment is the installation of strut fairings with 8 to 12 mph increase in cruise speeds with either gear configuration.

Useful load is predicated on empty weight of the aircraft and gross weights of the particular model. Gross weights vary throughout the evolution of the Kitfox design.
    Do research on model differences before purchasing.

As for convertibility, the model 4 Classic can be converted without modifications. The Classic model 4 fuselage had both tri-gear and tailwheel gear attach brackets welding on at the factory.

(Classic model 4 tri-gear)
    Moriarty,NM.jpg

The model 6 is the same and of course all model 7's are convertible.

Several earlier models from model 1 through model 5's have been successfully converted to tri-gear with some welded fuselage modifications.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post

As for convertibility, the model 4 Classic can be converted without modifications. The Classic model 4 fuselage had both tri-gear and tailwheel gear attach brackets welding on at the factory.

(Classic model 4 tri-gear)
    Moriarty,NM.jpg

The model 6 is the same and of course all model 7's are convertible.

Several earlier models from model 1 through model 5's have been successfully converted to tri-gear with some welded fuselage modifications.
    For clarification.. The All Classic IV's are NOT convertible. That factory installed option did not become available until 2003.. That is for Classic IV KITS sold after 2003 (check serial number for clarification on kit mfg date) Classic IV's before that time (pre-2003) do not have the factory installed mounts and are tail wheel only.

That being said, many have been modified at later dates from Tail wheel to Tri gear. It does require welding to the fuselage and the use of the aluminum spring gear.

On the other hand if it is a Series 5 Vixen or Voyager (Factory tri-gear) it cannot be converted to a tail wheel without major changes. The tail section is not design for the tail loads for the tail wheel configuration.

To date; one of the fastest Series 7's was a tri gear.. I highly suspect that same aircraft if converted to a tail wheel would be slightly faster simply due to less parasitic drag. It would also be approximately 10 lbs lighter.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

For clarification.. The All Classic IV's are NOT convertible. That factory installed option did not become available until 2003.. That is for Classic IV KITS sold after 2003 (check serial number for clarification on kit mfg date) Classic IV's before that time (pre-2003) do not have the factory installed mounts and are tail wheel only.
    Interesting since I bought my Classic model 4 fuselage kit from you in 2001.
    I didn't do any mods for tri-gear ( it is definitely in tri-gear mode) and it has all the tailwheel weldments. I didn't get my airworthy certificate until Oct. 2003 same day as you got yours.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I had to look it up.

Kitfox Lite Squared introduced in 2001 was equipped with a convertible landing gear system.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder