Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cowling and spinner interference

Default Re: Cowling and spinner interference

Hey Mark,

That's good news that you had an inexpensive, uncomplicated fix...In my alleged life as a mechanic, I have always found that when taking something apart, time is well spent if a person documents how things were before they came apart (which I have also found is not necessarily correct all the time), in writing or photographs (digital cameras are great).

Onward and upward!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I agree. I have taken a ton of photos but not of every detail apparently.

After reading Av8r_sed's post I am considering removing the spinner and backing plate altogether. I had not yet seen or read that having a composite backing plate within the prop installation could cause a loss of bolt torque. That's a scary possibility. Those with IVO props, what are you using for a spinner?
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

I actually just found some video I shot detailing the motor mount to firewall install before I removed it and I DON'T see washers between the mount and the firewall. I am wondering if there were washers behind the firewall in between it and the fuselage. Stupid memory. Anybody have any photos or manual info about installing the motor mount? I wish I had that part of the manual.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

shimming the motor mount with washers is common.
    I did an engine swap last year took over 100 picture of things like that.
    I have been maintaining/ improving this KF for 6 years , so pretty used to where things are ,but, still do not remove anything without taking detailed pictures.

I have a 3 blade IVOPROP medium IFA with a fiberglass 9 or maybe 11" (for the IFA motor to fit) UHS spinner. The spinner backplate mounts the most forward or on the front. I used 2 Fender washer under each bolt head to help with backplate crush. I have had the prop off a few times. It does not loose its torque. I check the bolt torque at the recommended 10 HRS.
    After the initial torque checks when you install , I have never had the prop bolts out of torque. 400 hrs with this setup.

Another key is to mark the prop blades with hub position , so the knurls go back in the same spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by inflight View Post

After reading Av8r_sed's post I am considering removing the spinner and backing plate altogether. I had not yet seen or read that having a composite backing plate within the prop installation could cause a loss of bolt torque. That's a scary possibility........
    Mark,

I think a lot of things can seem scary if a person is not familiar with them......On the composite/fiberglass spinner, we are running a UHS spinner with a composite bulkhead. The bulkhead has be on the front of the stack, not sandwiched in between spacers or the prop hub, according to instructions. Also, the assembly includes fender washers to go against the front of the bulkhead before the AN washers and bolts which spreads out the pressure. At least in the instructions I received with the spinner kit, as well as with the Warp Drive Prop there were notices to check the prop torque at regular intervals. What I discovered was a very minor tendency for one or two bolts to lose a small amount of torque at first, but that quit happening after a few hours. My opinion is if the directions are followed for the correct assembly and checking the torque - this will never be a problem. One thing to keep in mind on the composite bulkhead is the nuts imbedded in the fiberglass can be messed up if overtorqued - they are not like a regular nut but have thin walls so excess torque on the spinner screws can potentially spread the nut(s) to the point they will not hold. UHS recommends using blue locktite on these which works real well.

Want to hear scary?.....at an airport which will remain secret, I am aware of a "normally" certificated aircraft with an aluminum spinner on shut down - as the engine rolled to a stop, a noticable clatter came from the aluminum spinner. Apparently the spinner also can serve the purpose of storing prop bolts that have come loose for some reason or other - suspect that never would have been necessary if the thing had been assembled correctly in the firstplace....oh well.
    Dave S
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Kevin,

I like the Ivo prop install......it would be great to have an adjustable prop; however, that one got backburnered due to budget in my case...maybe some day.

Mark,

Forgot to mention; but Kevin's post reminded me, there was also a 1/4" steel crush plate which I believe came with my prop for use depending on what other stuff a person installed - photo attached. Ignore all the wires - that was a data logger testing the effectiveness of the Tanis heater (tends to get a little chilly up here in the winter)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I think mine is definitely installed wrong. The backplate is between the hub and the other plates. Kmach, since I don't have any of the original instructions, could you give me a simple step by step to removing the prop? I have the same "through the hub" electric connection as you. Thanks.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3