Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cowling and spinner interference

Default Re: Cowling and spinner interference

Dave that is a great looking cowl setup. It is amazing after staring at this airplane how I am still finding little things I might have done differently.

I inspected the mount thoroughly while it was removed and didn't notice any bent or damaged pieces, but I am certainly no expert.

Thanks for the encouragement. For as long as it is taking to get an already built airplane back in the air I have a new found respect for those of you building from scratch. I'm getting antsy to fly. As someone here put it, I think, I'm getting the ground sickness.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

Your right about this forum Mark! There are a lot of wise heads here! I followed your thoughts in the threads and I think you asking all the right Qs and checking all the 'possibles'. My only advice is don't let the itch to go flying outweigh your peace of mind that you will get from understanding the logic that has lead to this situation. The only other question is did the plane actually fly with this engine and cowl configuration?? Are you able to chat to the previous owner about this? - they surely could shine some light on this.

Best wishes on getting satisfactory explanation on this!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

A simpler fix might be, after considering all the other ideas mentioned here and ensuring no deficiencies were present, would be to lose that spinner alltogether and install an IVO skullcap spinner that allows for quick access to prop mount bolts and inspection of tape etc.. and does not get anywhere near the cowl,

My model IV had a large spinner same as yours when I obtained the airplane, but I replaced it with the skullcap when I changed the original prop with IVO IFA, and I have come to really like the look of it, as it reminds me of the front of a DHC Beaver every time I look at it.

From your pic it looks like you have an IVO prop as well..

Good luck in your efforts...

I second Craig's comment here. I cracked a blade at the root on my IVO medium due to the fiberglass backplate on the UHS spinner. The problem occurred because the fiberglass compresses after torquing the prop bolts and the blades then loosened. Removing and replacing all the spinner screws in order to follow the IVO torquing schedule is also a pain.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I have a the 914 FWF manual if you need any info off of it. I'll be home tomorrow aft so I can dig it up for you. But Beyond torque values, I'm not sure how much help it will be for you.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

A IVO skull cap looks fine on a round cowl, a smooth cowl is best with a full spinner.
    I think the problem needs to be fixed, not lived with it .

I'm thinking there were some washers between the mount and firewall that got missed on re install. It wouldn't take much to make a difference out by the spinner.
    Last edited by kmach; 08-17-2016 at 05:54 AM.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I wonder if a prop spacer an extra 1/2" might be an option too.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Esser- I would take some torque specs if you have time to look that up for me. I appreciate it.

I'm with kmach, and leaning towards some missed washers between the mount and firewall. I'm heading out to the airport to work on it soon. I'll keep you all posted on what I figure out.

I want the alignment to be where it should be but I'm also thinking I may sand the spinner and backing plate down a bit for more clearance.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

image.jpgLooking at this again, I believe the spinner backplate is designed to go on the front, not behind the prop. I've seen them both ways, but mine was mounted on the front.

http://http://www.uhsspinners.com/installs.html
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I missed the washers against the firewall. Once they were installed the alignment was much closer. Then I loosened the bushing bolts so that the large retaining washer was just in contact with the spacer but not snug. Those too things combined fixed my alignment problem. Thanks for the help guys!
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying