Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Little Incident

Default A Little Incident

I recently had a little incident which proves you can never be complacent or quit flying your tail-dragger until you have it in the hangar. I had just landed on a friend's private grass strip on his christmas tree farm. Its kind of short and narrow and a little rutted and rough but not too bad. Made a good landing and was rolling out. It was drifting a little to the right, maybe due to ruts or roughness, but I was very slow by then-probably less than 10 mph. In hindsight I should have reacted sooner, but finally decided I need to correct to the left. Way to slow for any help from the rudder, so used my left brake. Well the grass was long and slick so the wheel just skidded rather than turning the plane to the left. So I just kept going kind of slow motion to the right where the trees were planted alongside the runway. My right wingtip caught the top of a christmas tree which was so flexible that the treetop just bent and slid under the wing doing no damage whatsoever to the wing; no dent or even a scratch. However it hit the front edge of the right flaperon and creased it good. This swung the plane around in a 180 and the trailing edge of my left elevator then contacted another christmas tree lower down (where it is sturdier) and made a small bow in the trailing edge tube, cracking two of the wooden ribs inside. I was going so slow at this time I was surprised that any damage at all had occurred. After a thorough inspection, it looked airworthy so I flew it home (not very far) without further incident or any noticeable change in flying characteristics.

I am now in the process of replacing the flaperon (it couldn't be straightened) and have removed the fabric from the left elevator half to replace the two wood ribs and straighten the trailing edge tube. Fortunately that tube was only gently bowed and was easily straightened. Still there are many steps to take to repair just this minor damage and repaint. Hope to be ready to paint in a week or so.

Bottom line is: don't get complacent and wait too long; keep flying that plane to a stop. They say the 300-500 hour pilot (that's me at 370 hours) is the most likely to get complacent and have an incident. I'm just glad it was only minor damage and not life threatening at all. No prop strike thank goodness.

Fly safe.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: A Little Incident

Jim,

Sorry for the deal you had; but, glad it was minor and you are getting right on it getting it fixed. Gotta stay on the horse!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Also sorry to hear you have an injured Kitfox but glad for no structural damage. Complacency is a sneaky devil always looking for an opportunity to inflict his will no matter how many hours one has logged.
    Thanks for the reminder.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

So sorry to hear that, Jim, but I hope you can take a little solace in the fact that many of us have been down that road. When I had an "incident" quite a few years ago, I was amazed by the outpouring from friends who told of similar happenings to them that I was totally unaware of. It really helped to ease my embarrassment and disappointment in myself. Statistics aside, like Steve said - it can happen to anyone. Sometimes, no matter how good a pilot you are, things will happen which may or may not be within your control. I know you'll fix it right and start enjoying that beautiful bird again real soon!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Oh, crap. I'm sorry to hear you banged up your beautiful ship. I know it will look better than it was when you have it in the air again soon. Just happy YOU, my friend, did not get banged up. I appreciate you sharing this. There are those of us who 'have' and those of us who have 'yet' to fall victim to the complacency you mention. Remember too, the greatest aviators in history have all banged up airplanes. Not that it's necessary or inevitable, it just made me feel better when I heard that :-)

Add me to the chorus of "sorries". Also glad it was minor. I would guess that more often than not, this type of experience goes unreported along with the take care advice. Thanks for the heads up to all of us.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thats a bummer Jim! Must have been frustrating to see it all happening in slow mo!! Anyway, thanks for the reminder no to get too complacent and I am sure you will have it all back as new before long! I was surprised to hear it just skidded though and didn't grip at all - especially in your summer up there. I am going to do a few tests on wet grass using one brake to see how it responds.

best wishes for getting back in the air soon.

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Sorry to hear this Jim. So glad it wasn't worse.
    Eddie

6"-8" long dry grass is slicker than I thought. Thanks for the condolences. I was keeping it quiet for about a week, embarrassment and disappointment in myself. But then I kept getting questions from friends about not flying since I normally fly several times a week. Then this big long box arrived in my driveway from Kitfox with the new flap and the cat was out of the bag-couldn't hide it from my wife anymore. Things got kind of funny and I had to fess up to my family, so I figured why not fess up to my Kitfox family; maybe someone will get some good out of it, I know I sure have.

Am making good progress, have the elevator half ready to recover and have about half the work done on assembling the new flaperon. Starting to think about repainting soon. Am antsy to get back on that horse.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I certainly want to post kudus for Kitfox, Debra and Brandon Peterson, for getting my replacement flaperon shipped in short order. When I ordered it I was told they didn't have any extras in stock and would have to make it, but it would be touch and go whether it could be shipped before they all left for Oshkosh. Well Brandon busted his butt and got it done early and shipped nearly a week before they left for Osh. A public thanks to Kitfox customer service.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS