Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: doors

Default doors

I finished the seat pans tonight, thanks for all the input this past week. So now I am reading about the doors and the channels that make up the door frame and the covering channel. The directions make a statement to set the covering out to match the cowl thickness, sooo did you wait to do the door frame after you had the firewall forward and the cowl installed? So far the build has been straight forward, although I have had some questions, but this part seems somewhat confusing to me on the procedure of the steps to do first. Did you really install the door handle assembly before the door was hung, I must be missing something here in my thought process, any help here would be great.

Default Re: doors

Good morning Flybyjim
    I believe the instructions provide a suggested amount to place that aluminum angle. Maybe 1/8 inch outboard. It just means that you don't make it flush with the vertical post of the airframe. I have seen some that are out a bit too far and some that don't quite sit flush with the cowl. some are such that the top is out a bit and the bottom is in a bit. None of them look all messed up. They look fine. I have mine placed about 1/8 inch from flush. It came out great.
    The door latch is mounted without having to mount the door. I found the function of the door latch really interesting. It can be adjusted in or out if I remember correctly. I didn't have to mess with mine at all. It just fit right the first time. You have to adjust the throw of the handle by means of the allen screw that holds it all together. I wouldn't even attempt at describing how its done. It seems very ingenious too me. Don't forget that there will be stainless steel plate mounted under the latch as well, so, putting the door in place to make adjustments before that plate is installed would mean it won't have clearance once that plate is installed.

Eddie

Thank's Eddie,

I think I will set the frames in place and not finish the bottom front until I have the boot cowl. I talked to Debra today and she sent me a couple of photos of a plane in their shop, that was also helpful.

Eddie, you've just solved something I've been puzzling over for some time. If you don't set that fabric angle correctly, I was concerned I'd get a mismatch with the boot cowl. I'll crawl back and re-read my manual ... again.
    David
    SS7 Builder