Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Windshield

Default Windshield

Does anyone have the dimensions for the windshield for the Kitfox 3007.jpg?

Mine seems to be two long and hits a bracket on the fuselage. I have 1" overhang on each side, is that correct?

Default Re: Windshield

If you do not have a previous windscreen to go by and your making a new one from lexan, install the nose cowl, get a rough measurement of the "bow" of the cowl where it meets the cowl, add 4" to that dimention then cut the lexan to that width, measure 2" below the cowl lip where it meets lexan up and over the carry thru for front spar to the mounting area above the seats, add 4" to that then cut lexan to that length, now slide lexan between nose cowl and panel cover or " dash" trim only to fit where needed to get good tight fit between dash and nose cowl, stuff towels if need be on dash to lexan, bow the lexan back making sure to keep it square and tight, where it touches carry through for front spar take a permanent marker and mark right over the 5/16" hole for the spar connect, now remove the lexan, measure 1 3/4" to the outside of each mark you had put on the lexan at the spar connect points , outboard side, take a straight edge from the 2 initial marks draw a line at the 2 marks going outward ( as if sitting in the plane left outward on left sideright outwardon right side) at the 1 3/4" mark use a 2" hole saw and drill each side, then cut from edges toward each hole in the center, re install lexan, making sure it is tight fit again, pull lexan so the holes line up with carry thru, now clamp lower part to the door posts, trim if you need to to get clamps on, 3 or so on each side, once clamped and you know it is square, and tight mark the lexan on the door side top to bottom, then remove and trim, re install then drill the lexan to fit holes at door post, use cleco's to hold, now lay top down, holding it down starting at front carry thru drill each side and cleco each side one set of holes ( left/right) at a time, ensuring the lexan is staying flat left to right, once all attach holes are drilled, mark the lexan so it would slide over wing when wing is in flying positionabout 1/2 " or so, remove lexan, trim, sand every cut edge, and the holes , debur with over sized drill bit by hand, no pressure, just spin in finger tips,.. Now peal the protective skin off lexan, re install, attach at door posts.. Do not attach on top , until wing is on plane and in flying position, you can use the cleco's to hold it on the top until wings are on ..
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Once wing is on, and swung in flying position, if your going to use bolts on the front carry thru connection points, measure diagonally tip to tip on the hex head of the bolt, add 1/16" to that measurement, drill the lexan to that size over the wing connect point, debur, if you hsing pins, measure accross the head and ad 1/16" to that for drill size, .
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

ON my Kitfox 4, a 4' 2" long X 4' wide was big enough. Might have been able to make 4x4 work, but would have been tough. The piece of lexan I got with the kit was 4' x 4' I think there might be more headroom in the Kitfox 4 than a 3, so maybe 4'x4' would fit for you easier. JimChuk

I've just replaced my Mk3's windshield during my engine upgrade.

I still have the old one, and if you're desperate, I can trace the shape onto paper and post it to you?

I'm in the UK though.