Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 120 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Im looking to purchase the small black round rocker switches that Kitfox has been installing on their panels. I find them as inexpensive as 50 cents a piece. They are marketed as automotive/marine but they are 12v AC. I have a vertical power box and they tell me I can use any switch I like as they will only be notifying the VP that I want the power on to the items that I wire to the VP such as Nav lights. I also find the similar switch as a 12v DC but they don't have the labeling that I want or they have an LED in them. Any reason you can think of that I can't use the AC versions instead of the DCs that I don't like?

As it is my opinion that this panel is a work of art I aim to replicate it. If the owner of N65ZC is reading, I am sorry, but I hope your flattered. Your aircraft is everything I want. Anyhow, these are the switches mentioned above.
    Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Im looking to purchase the small black round rocker switches that Kitfox has been installing on their panels. I find them as inexpensive as 50 cents a piece. They are marketed as automotive/marine but they are 12v AC. I have a vertical power box and they tell me I can use any switch I like as they will only be notifying the VP that I want the power on to the items that I wire to the VP such as Nav lights. I also find the similar switch as a 12v DC but they don't have the labeling that I want or they have an LED in them. Any reason you can think of that I can't use the AC versions instead of the DCs that I don't like?
    Eddie,

The AC rated switches should work just fine.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

It was explained to me that the difference between the AC and DC rating is because... In an AC circuit the current flow is alternating and when the switch makes or breaks the circuit it does not arc across the contacts.
    With a DC circuit the current is always flowing, therefore when the circuit is connected or disconnected there is an arc and the mating materials must be more robust.

In your application, with a low current flow it should not be a problem. But if there is current of several amps DC the switch should be rated for the DC load.

Ralph

Thanks guys. I emailed Vertical Power and not expecting a reply due to the holidays I got one that very same night at 10:00pm. Awesome. I discovered that the AC switches also have a DC value in the description that I hadn't seen. These are going to work fine. I just wish I understood why I can buy them for .99 cents and some cost $7. I am not one to use cheep on account of money but if I understood that the $7 ones used superior contacts or something I might buy them. These switches are not going to use much energy since I am using the VP-X

EFWD
    Check NTE (nteinc.com) for the round switches. They make snap in or threaded switches and are available from many different sources. Prices are pretty reasonable too.
    I went with the illuminated round hole rocker with the square bezel. I also put a dimmer on the switch so the LED can be turned down or off. These are rated at 12V 20A! There are a couple panel pics in my photo album
    Theres a document out there somewhere that details how to derate switches for AC or DC use. I thought it was on the ray allen site but I cannot find it... Maybe someone else knows where it is.

Found it...
    www.bandc.aero/pdfs/Switch_Ratings.pdf
    Last edited by jmodguy; 01-02-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Thank you Jeff
    I had just ordered my switches by the time your entry posted. I really like the threaded version of the switch. I am going to see what the quality of mine prove to be. If there cheap I may order these that you have provided a source for. I really like the idea of a dimmer switch on yours. Had I known that was doable I might have done those type myself.
    Eddie

Okay, for those who enjoy seeing progress of those of us who are building. Have not been putting nearly as much time in as I should but here is a couple of the things I have accomplished the past couple weeks. Sorry, unable to figure out how to rotate image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's one sweet panel. Which transponder do you have?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Hi Phil
    I have the Garmin GTX345 w/GPS. Primarily went against Garmins recommendation just due to the fact their less expensive route would require two units to install. I want to install as few units as necessary. All-in-one
    ADS-B in/out. Hopefully this avionics install will be simplified by the VPX sport I also bought.
    Eddie