Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 47 of 120 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Thanks Phil for your backup and excellent analysis of cable stretch with temperature. The simplicity that you mentioned is one of the great features of the Kitfox that make it easy to maintain.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Oh, I wanted to mention that John Pitkin has an excellent write-up under "Building Tips and Hints" on how to set up and mark the rudder cables for swaging. You follow that and they will come out right on.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Building Tips and Hints post #47.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thank You Jim.

Pretending to do electrical work. I hope I get to fly plenty of night flights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Eddie, not to rain on your parade but I don't think blue lights are the best for retaining your night vision...

"
    To retain your night vision, a red light has been the traditional choice since before WWII when the military settled on red as the best choice. Recently, there has been a move to green and blue-green light, precipitated in large part by the military’s change to green, which itself has been primarily motivated by the increased use of night vision equipment. Which is really better? As it turns out, green light offers some advantages over red as a means to retain night vision capability. However, it isn’t cut and dried.

Total brightness, or illumination level, of the light has a potentially more significant effect on night vision retention than does the choice of red or green. Because your eyes are more receptive to green light, we gain better visual acuity at lower light levels than when using red light. Green also allows for differentiation between colors that red does not and the magenta used on aviation charts, for example, is readily readable under green light, not always the case with red.

Both reasons contribute to the fact that pilots and many others generally seem to prefer green over red, it simply makes it easier to see and read in the dark cockpit. The potential problem is with the actual illumination levels we use, not the color of the light. The brighter the light, the more negative impact on night vision, both in our capacity to see and in how long it takes to gain back optimum night vision. This is true regardless of whether it is red or green.

Ideally, you want to use only as bright a light, red or green, as is necessary to perform your chores and no more. However, if you have a brighter light than you actually need, a brighter green light will generally have a more negative effect than an equally bright red light. Green or
    blue-green has a greater capacity to adversely affect night vision because the eyes are about 100 times more sensitive to these colors, so even moderately too bight light can have a serious deleterious effect.
    Another complication is that an individual’s visual acuity at low light levels varies quite a bit, so what would be perfect for one, might be too bright or too dim for another. In other words, without some means to vary intensity, odds are no light will be perfect. Bottom line is that red or green will both perform adequately, but what you really should be more concerned about is to avoid very high illumination levels, of either color, if retaining night vision acuity is your goal."
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Great input Josh
    My map light is green. I actually was thinking of the NVG aspect since thats what I used crewing Blackhawks. I just like the color and really, i dont expect to need panel lights while actually in the air given the flat panel instrumentation. What I would anticipate using to see paper work would be the green map light. Both the panel and map light are on dimmers as well. Im aware of those things you mention but I hate red light regardless of how well it retains night vision. Granted, this might be just form over function but I like the way it looks more than my true need to hold fast to conventional wisdom. Unless... maybe I will violate the FARs and get NVGs. JK. Not trying to instigate any lectures about their use in flight.
    Eddie

All good Eddie, just wanted to make sure you were aware. It does look really sharp!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Great discussion on the colors for night time flying.

You know, back in my rental days, the FBOs invariably printed up checklists they wanted everyone to use. Also with out exception, the emergency items or items you want to find quickly were printed in RED on a white background.....great.....so are the cabin lights!

I did some experimenting with what colors would really stand out on a white background checklist with red cabin lights at night.

Turns out green print on white background shows up brilliantly under red cabin lights at night. Even brighter than black on white.

What you see is whatever color of light is reflected back.

So if red print is on white background red is reflected back from both red print and from a white background...great!

Since pure green print reflects no red light - it appears brilliant black under red light (nothing reflected back) while the white background is a contrasting red in appearance since white reflects all colors.

The interesting part about this is green print shows up much more brilliantly black than does black print on the same white background.

Attached example item with header info in green.

So this was what worked where a person was stuck with red lights....good to see people trying new stuff.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Don't want to get into a debate over night vision colors or hijack Eddies thread, but there are some important things to consider.

One is - if you can see any color on your charts, your night vision is already compromised. The key is to reach a brightness (dimness) so tht you can only see bkack/greay and white.

2nd is - It is the intensity of the light (regardless of the color) that reduces your ablity to recover your night vision.

This leads to the problem of how most dimmers are built. Many start at off and initial rotation is to the brightest level and you reduce from there. Optimally, you want to start at off to the dimmest level and increase just to the point that you can read the chart but not see colors on it.

When I have a situation that starts at the brightest level, I close my eyes and go to full dim and then open them and adjust up just to the point I can read.

Most optimally, you would have a separate on/off switch and have the dimmer preset and leave it there - "set it and forget it"!

As to colors, the reason red is worse than green is, red requires more intensity to get to a level your eye can percieve. Green requires a much lower intensity. Lately there has been some discussion that blue/green (aqua) requires an even lower intensity level.

YMMV, Greg