Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 33 of 120 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Start any specific topic thread and we ( myself or my moderators) can make them a "sticky" so they will be very easy to locate whenever a builder needs them as a reference...
    Maybe we could start a dedicated discussion like Engines where all the stickies are posted. I'm not a fan of going on forums and the first 20 posts are all stickies.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

With regard to stickies, I have a little to learn. I don't even know what those are.

Im installing the Cam Locks. There are two cam locks that involve the end caps of the foot well on the firewall. My end caps lay somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch away from the boot cowl. Am I supposed to have the cam lock mounted inside the foot well on the stainless steel. I can't see doing that because my boot cowl will be pulled in to much. I can't quite pull off just attaching the thing to the boot cowl only as then the boot cowl is pushed out too far. I am considering cutting a relief hole in the end cap that will allow the back of the cam lock to rest partially protruding through. How are people getting this done?
    Eddie

I had the same issue but my gap was only about 1/4". I installed the camlock receivers in the end caps and then used a 1/4" wood block spacer Hysoled on the end cap with a hole thru it. I also had to buy new camlocks that were 1/4" longer. Sounds like your idea might also work.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I also had the same issue, Eddie. Similar to what Jim probably did, I used some fiberglass scraps left over from trimming and built up that area of the cowl with them and Hysol. Then used longer Camloc studs too. Yes, the receptacles are installed on the inside of the wells. My gaps were also similar to what Jim said.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

So, Can I mount the receptacle that was supplied by Kitfox and purchase a longer stud or do they come as a pair?
    Eddie

You can barely see it in the bottom right corner of the pic below, but I used a short piece of correct width aluminum C channel to space the original receptacle out to the fiberglass and used the same cam lock. The C channel was riveted to the frame bracket and the cam lock receptacle is then riveted to the C channel. Just used 3/32 flush pop rivets. My gap was about a 1/2 inch on each side so this worked very well with 1/2 inch C channel, but less than that may be trickier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geowitz; 09-13-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks Geowitz
    I may have overstated my gap that I am dealing with. It is more in line with what Jim and John stated. 1/4 - 1/2 inch actually. I may not have as much trouble as I thought but I am curious still as to wether I can get a longer stud and still use the receptacle. At least that way I will be able to proceed and get those all installed this weekend.
    Eddie

Yes you can use the same receptacle and get a longer stud, as long as it is the same brand/style.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thank You Jim