Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 29 of 120 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

I put painters tape to identify where they were. You can pop them on in the exact same spot. With the painters tape on, in sunlight you should be able to make out where the tape is through the fairing. I also used the centre hole on the strut to take measurements to get exact distances before I drilled.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh, I'll try that. Guess I will wait for more sun tomorrow.

For those with outside air temperature probes (Garmin G3X touch). I have to come up with a good location to place this probe and I don't think I have ever seen one mounted before. Any ideas? I would like to use the underbelly, maybe opposite side of the exhaust. I am not sure I will have adequate clearance for the electrical connection unless I am aft of the gear.
    Eddie

For whatever it's worth, Eddie, the heated air from the radiator and engine compartment may be an issue. The way it flows during different flight conditions could affect accuracy. Just a thought.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Since my Dynon ADAHRS is aft, behind the baggage bay, I put my OAT on the right side (non-exhaust side) just under the horiz. stab and tail access cover. Figured it would be away from any influence of hot exhaust, shaded from the sun, cleaner than on the bottom, and protected by the stab. Guessing it will work well there, but course the turtle-build hasn't flown yet (getting closer though).
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Oh yes, thanks John. In my insomnia moment last night i totally forgot the radiator. I have to stay within 10' of the EMU as the lead comes premade. In the UH-1H helicopter the thing sticks right out the front of the window. Not very pretty for a Kitfox.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Oh yes, thanks John. In my insomnia moment last night i totally forgot the radiator. I have to stay within 10' of the EMU as the lead comes premade. In the UH-1H helicopter the thing sticks right out the front of the window. Not very pretty for a Kitfox.
    Bottom of one of the wings between the tank and Rib 1? I'm not sure how big your sensor is
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Possibly. Im actually not in possession of the probe as Aircraft spruce has it to do the wiring. I will look into that. If it clears the door when open that may work.

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the mounting plate of my pitot tube. I think that will be well out of the influence of anything and a nice, strong point that doesn't need separate manufacturing. One of the ideas I really liked was an RV that had an OAT probe mounted in one of the round inspection panels underneath the wing. I'm just going to try and avoid making more holes in fabric if I can, so I'll try and use existing mounts if they're available (like the pitot plate).

Good places would be on the bottom of the wings or under the tail. It is good to keep it out of direct sunlight so you don't have inaccurate readings on the ground.

Here is what I did. It is at my battery access panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016