Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 24 of 120 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

That all looks very good, Eddie! You're doing great!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I like the flat black joy sticks. Hadn't noticed that in earlier pictures.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

What do you guys think about the aluminum tail wheel spring Kitfox has. I have the spring steel. For appearance reasons I am considering the aluminum. Does that one make a bit of difference outside of appearance?
    Eddie

Hi Eddie,

that is looking good! I see you got the fuel filters figured and positioned. It looks really neat. It will be interesting to see how you arrange all the oil and coolant hoses too. Are you fitting an oil thermostat?

nice feeling when you can see the finishing post!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hi Ross
    I called John M. about the filter cuz I am so fearful of doing something different than what the factory calls for. Inevitably I seem to not foresee something coming and I never like coming into difficulty. John did make me aware of the clearance of the engine mount so I was grateful for that. It definitely had me make adjustments.
    Sounds like you have some knowledge of what I am up against regarding oil lines? I hope its not too troublesome. Routing things is kinda laborious. No fun.
    If it didn't come in the FWF kit I have not considered it. The 912iS has a lot of sensors but as for a thermostat, I don't know.
    Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Since you're fitting a 912iS, might I recommend you have a look at the CAV13 Status Monitor from www.cambridgeavionics.com

No, I'm not advertising and have no connection with the company other than I've bought one of these because they look like great pieces of kit. I think it's very convenient to have an instrument that monitors all the outputs from the ECU and puts errors into plain language, instead of having to hook up diagnostic software because there's a Lane light on etc.

Also, there's a guy in the UK who has come up with a neat box of tricks that removes the requirement for the 912iS 'start battery' switch. Basically, instead of having to hold a momentary switch or flick on a toggle switch for start power, his unit connects the start circuit to the battery for 1 minute after it's triggered (normally by turning your key to the ignition position) and then it gets turned off automatically. He's figured out all the stuff with Rotax regarding the generators being on line at low RPM and not damaging circuits etc. So it really is a matter of key on, Lane switches on, fuel pumps on and press start. No mucking around with switches and juggling hands after start. Again, I'm not associated with the company but will definitely be installing one in my machine and only write this as you're going for the iS engine

Hi Eddie. I didn't mean to suggest you will have a problem - rather I just found it tight to get it all in there. The oil thermostat is an extra. I mounted it ( as others have) on a bracket that is attached to the lower engine mounts. I think given your fuel filter manifold that you would need to find another space for it . I was just interested where that might be, thats all.
    The gear suggested by Paul is interesting - especially the monitor. I am looking into that to see if it will negate the need for the data download via the expensive rotax dongle each 100hrs.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Dang, I just cut my last hole in my panel. I may be able to squeeze that in. It will be kinda awkward placement but doable. I will email them to inquire. Thanks.
    Eddie

OK, great Ross. Why did you (or how did you) come to the thermostat? If needed wonder why it isn't there already?
    Eddie

Probably best to have a read of the lengthy posts on this under 'remote oil thermonstat' Eddie.
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ