Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 11 of 120 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Yes John, that is what the panel annunciator is for. There is also a button on the transmitter itself for testing - that is the one we were discussing. As someone mentioned mounting the ELT itself within arms reach - which is not necessary or intended by any manufacturer. All ELT manufacturers and the FAA state - mount as far aft as practicable - not "and within arms reach".

Greg

You're absolutely right Greg... if I could read (clearly) I would be dangerous! Thanks.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

My post about mounting it in an accessible spot did not say nor intend "within arms reach". What I intended was a spot that could fairly easily be accessed after a crash (where for whatever reason the ELT did not automatically activate and the remote panel wiring may have been damaged) to push the manual ON switch on the ELT unit. I am aware that that switch is normally only for bench testing, but if my life were on the line I would push the button and deal with the "instructions" later.

By the way, to give credit where it is due, those pics in my previous post were from the Kitfox factory showing where they mounted the ELT in their SLSA, which I copied because it looked good to me.
    Last edited by jiott; 02-11-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: add material
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

about mounting it in an accessible spot did not say nor intend "within arms reach".
    Here is your quote:

Also in case your remote switch wire is damaged in a crash, you want to be able to reach the manual ON switch on the ELT if you are still alive.
    So what does "reach" mean - with your feet? Give me a break Jim. I don't care what the factory does. It wouldn't matter in a lawsuit. Many would not consider that to be "as far aft as practicable".

I told you what I intended to say-sorry if you or any others misinterpreted it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Many of us have mounted our ELTs in the same basic area as Jim, with antennas also similarly mounted. A good friend with a Mod.IV had some water leakage into the cabin during a fierce storm while the airplane was sitting on the ramp during a trip. Somehow water got into the remote and triggered the ELT. He was happy the ELT was mounted there because he could access it quickly to turn the thing off - the remote wouldn't do it. It worked well otherwise - he was contacted within a very short period of time by the monitoring agency.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Well, the point was well received here. If Johns scenario were to play out on my airframe, then I have to remove the seat pan to turn it off. If i should be mobile after a crash i would have to cut the fabric open in order to reach it. I dont believe fabric would be my concern At that point. But Jim, your very right. Thx.
    Eddie

I think I got in around 7-8 hours in today. I love those kind of days.
    First pic is this morning and last one is tonight. Im sure they are going to be sideways or something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lookin' good, Eddie!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

What a day of progress that was! Thanks for posting the before and after pictures. And look, it's already painted!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X