Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a Kitfox. Need help with insurance

Default Re: Buying a Kitfox. Need help with insurance

You mentioned being a student pilot. If you find someone that will insure a student in an experimental, please post back here. I have been unsuccessful in that endeavor when my wife was a student and later with a friend in our Zenith.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

My flight school required insurance before my first lesson. I don't remember exactly but i am fairly sure it was Falcon back then too.

Quote Originally Posted by N981MS View Post
    You mentioned being a student pilot. If you find someone that will insure a student in an experimental, please post back here. I have been unsuccessful in that endeavor when my wife was a student and later with a friend in our Zenith.
    I submitted a quote through EAA and got a quote back from Falcon.

$1,382 for ground and flight ($30k agreed value)

$603 aircraft liability ($1,000,000) and medical expense ($20,000)

$1,985 total policy premium.

A stipulation is that I must be under direct CFI supervision on all flights as a student pilot. Must receive 10 hours of dual flight instruction to include 10 full stop landings and obtain TW endorsement in make an model prior to solo.

How does this sound?

As an interesting side note, if the aircraft had any other engine than a 912 they were not interested in insuring me and to bind the insurance the make and model of the installed engine in the aircraft must be documented and approved by the underwriter.

I think this is fair considering my most recent premium at just over $1000 with 990 in type for identical coverage. Your experience tends to make the often stated point that the insurance folks who write the policies actually rule the roost. I was interested in the clause in my most recent policy reminding me essentially that if I was not in complete compliance with my operating limitations, all I would get from them would be the I'm sorry smile.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Wow my Bonanza only $1400. yr Wonder a kit fox value at 30m will be
    have 800 hr tw and 3m total
    uke

Quote Originally Posted by gregsgt View Post
    A stipulation is that I must be under direct CFI supervision on all flights as a student pilot. .
    All that sounds better than I could find. With our group we had other issues that when added to the student pilot issue made it a mess.

I am curious as to what "direct supervision" means to an insurance company. Unless they mean just the flight planning, how is this accomplished on a solo cross country?
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

I'm also curious what "direct supervision" means in the legal sense. It implies that your CFI has volunteered to be in the crosshairs for any and all scenarios involving a claim. From my experience doing primary training the upside is you might cover expenses. Of course the downside is huge..... I think the most realistic approach may be to get the license taken care of with a rental then go to the kitfox insurance application with a more attractive history. I think you will find that buying the airplane is probably the easiest of all the activities involved with owning and flying in the AM/EXP category.