Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Kitfox. Need help with insurance

Default Buying a Kitfox. Need help with insurance

OK guys I'm looking for advice.

I found a KF IV 1200 with a 912. I've been looking for a while and this is the right one for me. I'm going to buy it.

I've pretty much got everything figured out except for the insurance.

Right now I plan on trailering it home and keeping it in my garage to finish some misc odds and ends I want to do to it over the winter. After that I will be keeping it in a hangar at the airport.

As far as trailering it and keeping it in my garage it looks like a combination of my auto and homeowners insurance will cover it.

Once I have it ready I am going to need in-flight insurance.

Here is some background on me:

I am 38 years old and a student pilot. Roughly without adding everything up in my logbook I have 37 hours of dual instruction spread out over a few years with zero tail wheel time. I'd assume that I'm not very exciting to an insurance company. I do plan on training with an instructor in this aircraft that is very familiar with them.

Now my father is an inactive pilot with over 4000 hours in single engine aircraft and he does have his tail wheel endorsement from many years ago. He is 72 years old and was never denied a medical. He let his medical expire about 10 years ago and never tried to renew it because he came down with a medical condition that would have prevented it.

Would it be beneficial to somehow get him involved in the insurance or ownership of the aircraft in order to make it more insurable? I'm not sure how to go about starting the insurance process or even what insurance company to go to.

Default Re: Buying a Kitfox. Need help with insurance

I think it's better in your name. You will eventually have to get insurance based on your experience. Fly as many hours in the first year as possible and your rates will drop. You will need the tailwheel endorsement and that takes about 10 hours. My insurance dropped as soon as I started adding endorsements. Get your controlled airspace if not already in your plan. (not many towered airports in my world but I got it anyway. If the opportunity pops up I will jump on seaplane endorsement too. A big part of the insurance premium is also what plane you are insuring.

I am just over 100 hours total and about half is instruction . Sport pilot in a zenith, tailwheel in a Citabria, stick and rudder in Idaho, Sling for my biannual, trike for the hell of it. I have flown in half a dozen planes of all varieties just because I am so curious about different aircraft. My zenith 601 gets neglected a little but my kitfox will get more attention once I get it up in the air.
    Last edited by TahoeTim; 10-03-2015 at 11:24 AM.

I use Heather R Brown from Regal Aviation Insurance. Her quote was much better than the EAA insurance quote. i have her phone # if you want it, send me a Private Message, so I'm not advertising for her.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

[quote=gregsgt;52692]OK guys I'm looking for advice.

As far as trailering it and keeping it in my garage it looks like a combination of my auto and homeowners insurance will cover it.

Make sure you get that opinion from a factual source. I damaged my airplane while towing it and neither my home owner's or automotive insurance (State Farm) said it was covered.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Is anyone here using Falcon?

I've heard they have quite a few kf customers.

I have falcon

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    I have falcon
    Is there an agent that you deal with? I filled out the online request several days ago and haven't heard anything.

I'd have to dig it up- $506 liability only and $1300 total to include $40000 aircraft coverage.

Kristopher B Abernathy
    EAA Renewal Department
    Falcon Insurance Agency, Inc.
    PO Box 291388
    Kerrville, TX 78029
    866-647-4322 (4EAA)
    Direct Line 480-459-5115
    kabernathy@falconinsurance.com

Quote Originally Posted by gregsgt View Post
    Is anyone here using Falcon?

I've heard they have quite a few kf customers.
    I have falcon. Best rates I found. This year Liability was only $356. That was with a private, Instrument, 50 hours in the kitfox in the past year.

Is yours just Liability, or does it include Comprehensive Airframe Damage?
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas