Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leading edge build up?

Default Re: Leading edge build up?

Ouch!

With the cracked rib, I'd council for a complete removal of fabric, inspection and repair of the wing with a new leading edge and whatever else is needed. Perfect time for a fuel tank upgrade, too.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I hate being negative, but if the plastic leading edge was pulled off, it must have torn both layers of fabric (top and bottom) plus the finish tape that covers the lap of these two layers. If that is the case, I would wonder how well the fabric would stay on when you fix it without pulling all the fabric and recovering the wing so you get the 2" lap of fabric. If it was just a short length of damage, it would be not such a concern, but if the fabric blows off the wing in flight, it (and you) go downhill from there. Jim Chuk

I'd strip the Fabrick from the wing, check for damaged ribs, replace the original leading edge, & recover the wing.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks again all! Hopefully Kitfox still sells that leading edge. I e-mailed them but no response. Building up that airfoil isn't a problem but I would rather have the original parts.
    Dave
    Yakutat