Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nose gear lube

Default Nose gear lube

I'm curious about what kind of lubricant others have used for the bronze bushings on the nose gear strut pivot and the nose gear swivel. I thought I might use a polyurea grease I have (supposed to be slippery, resist water and inhibit corrosion). I don't see anything mentioned in the build manual. Any better ideas out there besides deleting the nose gear and going tail dragger?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Default Re: Nose gear lube

Hi Gary,

I have been using "Boat Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease" for the nose gear bushings....under the supposition the stuff is supposed to be somewhat resistant to absorbing water (as I know what kind of stuff I drag my nose wheel through)....works fine.....honestly I don't think it matters so much what kind of grease a person uses so much as it is important to take the thing apart at regular intervals, clean it and the washers up and lubricate all with clean grease.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Further investigation of the polyurea grease indicates that it is really intended for low load, high speed applications; not really what is needed for the nose gear bushings. Will probably go for a moly-based lube. I like the idea of using something marine oriented or even intended for farm implements. Seems more suitable. Mobil makes some stuff that is really supposed to "stay put" too.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear

Be careful not to get the nose wheel assembly too lubricated and "slick". You do want a fair amount of tension on it when you turn the nose wheel side to side so it will not shimmy during take off and landing.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve.

Sounds like experience is speaking. That could make for a scary T/O & Landing.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

It sure can. When the shimmy damper went on my 172 I thought I was going to shake the O-300 right off its motor mounts.
    RobS

Be careful not to get the nose wheel assembly too lubricated and "slick". You do want a fair amount of tension on it when you turn the nose wheel side to side so it will not shimmy during take off and landing.
    Yes, I've experienced it. I called John McBean and he gave me the correct pounds of pull the nose wheel should have. I set the pull using a fish scale and it fixed the problem. Sorry, but I don't remember what the tension should be. It did teach me to get the nose wheel off the ground as soon as I powered up for take off, though, and to hold the nose wheel off the ground on landing.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

FYI - since I recently serviced the front fork, somehow I seem to I have not yet forgotten the details.......FYI - The correct setting is 10 - 12 pounds pull with the fish scale hooked on the axle end.

What I have found with the care and feeding of the front fork is it can either tighten or loosen with time....if it tightens it seems to correlate with the amount of mud, grunt and general crud accumulating on the belville washers and working its way into the washers and bushings. I did notice that following the build with the initial setting, the fork loosened up a bit and had to be re-adjusted - speculating the washers give a little at first plus some initial wear.

If it is adjusted right I have never experienced any shimmy - the factory setting works.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

If it was my nosewheel, and nothing is specified in the manual, I would use the same grease that is specified for the alaska bushwheel tailwheel because the wet dirty environment is the same. They recommend that red Mobil SHC (synthetic) grease. I can't remember the number; its something like SHC 500. Supposed to be about the best grease there is.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim,
    I was going to check out one of the Mobil 220 series greases. Grainger carries at least one. The SHC apparently comes in seven different concoctions; you happen to know which on Alaska Bushwheel is recommending?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear