Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Landing Gear Installation Sequence

Default Re: Landing Gear Installation Sequence

I cut a slot in the lower end of the tailspring bolt on my 3. Just deep enough to hold with a screwdriver. Works.

Ian

I know the Hysol idea was in the original IV manual, but was then the 3M "Structural Adhesive". I didn't glue it then as my arm is skinny enough to reach down to the bolt through the access panel below the elevator. I have always wondered about the guys with a bit more muscle and what would be best for them. Also on the IV, the bolt is drilled with a castle nut and cotter pin. That might have helped me once as during a Condition inspection, I found the bolts through the plate loose enough for the spring to wobble from side to side a bit. I can't Speak for the newer kits parts list on that.

Regarding brake lines, with the seat out, fabric on and perfect access to the internal fuselage area, I can't imagine a problem that might come up doing the brake lines after paint.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Unless you screw up like me, and glue in your brake line pass thru plates
    AFTER painting, and blister up your really nice Aerothane ... Which is why
    N85AE has plates, both inside and outside (to cover up the screwed up
    paint). I would make the brake line pass thru's first and glue and tape them
    in before paint were I to do it again.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Regarding brake lines, with the seat out, fabric on and perfect access to the internal fuselage area, I can't imagine a problem that might come up doing the brake lines after paint.

Jeff,
    Good info. Maybe you can help others avoid doing what we have done. My experience was with the fabric over the V on the extruded wing strut fairings after it came loose on my first IV. Now without even thinking, I avoid any covering adhesives on finished fabric and use Hysol. I have even used it to cover rash holes in the fabric. Once in place then comes a careful application of the finishing stuff on the patch.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hi Lowell -

How well does Hysol stick to Fabric? How about the 3m 2216? That's
    good to know.

Thanks!
    Jeff

I've used it inside and outside. The inside twice. Once to bond a piece of Lexan under the flaperon control arm where it was rubbing the fabric and once to patch a slit like cut in the fabric. I also used it on the outside once where the flaperon cut the vertical fabric during an unplanned wing folding. It held very well. One trick I used on the slit was to use a couple of pieces of sheet aluminum covered with the magic separator - clear packing tape and then held against the fabric patch on the inside and the outside by neodimium magnets. The aluminum sandwich holds everything flat.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Great discussion - I appreciate it.

Tom

I just poked a hole in the fabric for the brake lines. Didn't think of a plate at the time, (makes a lot of sense now that think about it). I will add plates on the inside at least, using Stewart Systems adhesive.