Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landing Gear Installation Sequence

Default Landing Gear Installation Sequence

Can I wait to assemble and install all of the landing gear components, including tail wheel, until after I put cloth on and paint the plane. SS7 build.'

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Landing Gear Installation Sequence

I installed my gear and tailwheel spring early and use it instead of sawhorses. My main gear is bare (no axles or wheels) and set on furniture dollies to roll it around. See the first photo.

I put my horizontal tail and elevator on the early. It made an easy way to glue all the ribs in with the fuselage blocked up level. We always did a few ribs at the end of the day. Before we knew it they were all done. My process is to start gluing around 3 pm so we didn't jiggle anything that was freshly glued. Glue and go home.

You can see in the second photo that I rigged the wings while the fuselage was sitting on a pallet so it was nice and low. Once rigged, I installed the gear and got it up. The tail wheel spring is up on a few pallets and a furniture dolly.

I will pull the gear to cover the fuselage. Just finger tight the nuts for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom,
    I think you will want to do the permanent installation of all landing gear components until after covering and painting. While covering you will need to be able to rotate the fuselage to cover the various surfaces and have access to the surfaces that might be covered by the landing gear. Mounting the gear temporarily while assembling all the critical components before covering would work too.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Good ideas from Tahoe Tim - thanks - but I am just about finished with fuselage. My question really was is there anything I MUST do with the landing gear prior to covering.

Thanks

Tom

I haven't read far enough ahead to check brake line routing. That's the only thing I can think of that might need attention.

Hysol the tail wheel spring bolt in the fuselage so when you install the tail wheel you can tighten the nut without a wrench on the bolt. You might put an inspection hole ring on the cover there too so you can get that bolt out if you ever need to.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    Hysol the tail wheel spring bolt in the fuselage so when you install the tail wheel you can tighten the nut without a wrench on the bolt. You might put an inspection hole ring on the cover there too so you can get that bolt out if you ever need to.
    Plus and minus here...

I can't recommend the hysol tip. Should the tailwheel spring break, (as many have experienced) it can take the mounting bolt with it or a least bend the bolt requiring replacement. Hysol would make the job extremely difficult.

An inspection ring in the fabric below the stab is a good idea. It will provide access to the tailwheel bolt, without removing the stab, should the need arise.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    I haven't read far enough ahead to check brake line routing. That's the only thing I can think of that might need attention.
    If you have the Grove gear, the brake line routing is not a problem after covering. But you might consider any antennas you are planning on using along with ELT mounting.

Also consider ADSB antennas if you haven't got that in your immediate plans.

John

I had to replace the tailwheel spring bolt and was able to do it without an inspection cover and without removing the horizontal stab. I just removed one side tail access cover and reached down and put the new bolt in and held a box-end wrench on the bolt head while I tightened the nut on the bottom. It was fairly easy to do. (SS7)
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have had my tailspring off several times, and this particular bolt can be
    tightened by just putting a slight downward push on the tailspring. That
    causes enough binding to hold the bolt while you tighten the nut. Now
    before anybody jumps on this, you ONLY need to overcome the friction
    of the nylon in the nut so it's not much.

I can (with difficulty) reach the bolt head from the battery hatch, so not
    a huge problem. However after I discovered the other way to do it, I don't
    even bother opening the battery hatch now.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post