Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas on flushing 582 poly oil tank

Default Need ideas on flushing 582 poly oil tank

My 582 went in for O/H today, so other things can progress. Any ideas on how to flush old nasty two stroke oil out of the poly oil tank on the firewall? And what is that little filter inline to the engine?

Default Re: Need ideas on flushing 582 poly oil tank

Still no ideas guys?

The little inline filter has a screen in it. That should be cleaned too. If you take it off the oil line you can see in the inlet and outlets to check it.

Not sure what to clean the tank out with. If it was mine I would take it off and clean it with turpentine or parts cleaning solvent.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Well... I'm not sure how the oil tank or the coolant overflow tank come off. Somehow the poly tanks are attached to the alum. mounts then through bolted to the firewall. I think.

My oil tank is held into an alumunum bracket by two stainless steel straps with thick cardboard shims. I was able to work out the shims and then work the tank out without removing the straps.

Make sure to check the tank carefully. The plasticizers in mine were long gone and the tank was very brittle. Fortunately it is a standard size Nalgene bottle and is easy to get a replacement. There are better choices than the original for replacing the overflow. I think AV8r3400 posted something about that a couple years back.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks Paul. I should just replace the oil tank I guess. I did not recognize that oil bottle name though. Can you PM me more info?
    Thanks,
    Jay

I used a Ski Doo oil tank. Found a new old stock one on ebay. If you want to go this route look for one from a 1980s through about 2000 fan cooled engine...most were 503's sometimes called a 500.

The liquid cooled Ski Doos have a coolant tank attached and two extra ports for the rotary valve lube so you don't want those.

Note the sump to hold oil at steep angles so you don't need to mount the tank at an angle.

This one is off a 1996 Ski Doo Skandic 500. Be sure the cap is a oil tank cap...it is vented...the gas caps are not. It has a low oil warning switch you can wire to a light.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

That's a nice looking install. Thanks for the info and photos. I'm pretty sure I want to keep the tank I have, or at least one just like it, as it fits nicely.
    Jay

Jay,
    I'm not sure what happened. I thought I posted a reply last night, but I don't see it here. Anyway, mine is a 64 oz rectangular Nalgene bottle carried by many camping supply places (REI, Campmor, Amazon). Just Google and you'll find it for around $12.

-- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Under the cowl I'm having a hard time finding out what came from Rotax, Kitfox, or the hardware store. The oil tank is one of those items. I was praying it was a factory item as I really dread having fab a mount for a new tank. I assume the coolant overflow is also a hardware store item?