Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 7 Flaperon Bracket

Default 7 Flaperon Bracket

Need a little help. I am confused on how to install the bottom rivets on each flaperon bracket? I believe I am to drill all the way through the trailing edge to the bottom of the wing and the rivet is installed going all the way through. This just doesn't seem right to me. Could I get some pics of the bottom of the wing where the rivets are coming through, and advice on how to do this correctly? In my thinking these bottom rivets are not going to really be holding much and I would think that over time if done this way the bottoms would start pulling out. Thanks for any help.

Default Re: 7 Flaperon Bracket

I know the build manual says to drill the bottom rivet all the way thru, but most people (including the factory SLSA) only drill thru the top cap strip and then use a shorter rivet so nothing shows on the bottom of the wing.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

They do go all the way through, Bryan. You would install them from the bottom up, so that the factory head is on the bottom & the formed "shop" head is against the steel fitting on the top. I think that they are very important. I'm considering using solid aluminum "AD" rivets there, just for looks. It's important to consider that those will not have the same strength as the stainless steel "pop" rivets do. I'll have to do some further analysis, but I believe that they may be a safe alternative in that particular location. I've seen that some builders have used small screws and nuts there. The problem with that is that you are going through 2 converging non-parallel surfaces and really should use tapered washers if you do that. That all can get to be pretty "hunky". The brackets used to be an assembly of two pieces, top & bottom of the wing on earlier models. Those last 2 rivets are important... don't think about leaving them off.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I know the build manual says to drill the bottom rivet all the way thru, but most people (including the factory SLSA) only drill thru the top cap strip and then use a shorter rivet so nothing shows on the bottom of the wing.
    We actually drill through both capstrips during the flaperon pre-install prior to cover.. After cover we do not open the bottom hole through the fabric. That allows us to get a rivet with enough grip length.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I'm glad to know that it's done that way by the factory. I guess it's the engineer in me, writing like I knew what I was talking about. I also would guess that the design (modified from the original) is strong enough based on working experience... there's got to be a lot of them out there. I just look at those last 2 rivets, so close to the edge & going through such thin aluminum, and I realize that they don't add much additional strength to the assembly. But they only add half as much as they could if they went all the way through like I proposed. I'm not much for tiny cosmetic changes when they decrease the structural strength of something... just the way I am. But like I said, if the design is strong enough with the proper amount of "cushion" for safety, then it doesn't really matter too much to me. Finally, I would guess that the weakest part of the system might be the tail of the rib anyway, but I've never done the math. Was the change from previous design done by SkyStar? Just curious.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks everyone. John I appreciate your help. I will do it the way you suggested. Happy New Year to all of you. Bryan

This is an old thread but the manual does call out of a 1/2 inch rivet in the final hole of the flaperon bracket at the trailing edge, I have drilled the hole through both cap strips at this location but at the moment have not opened the fabric under the wing, there is no way you can install a 1/2 inch rivet without putting a hole in the fabric not even a 3/8 inch rivet as used to install the rest of the bracket so what size rivet do you use to install the flaperon bracket without putting a hole in the fabric and having the the rivet protruding under the wing?

If I remember right, you use a 1/4" rivet. You may need the hole in the bottom cap strip, but the rivet will not poke thru thru fabric.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    If I remember right, you use a 1/4" rivet. You may need the hole in the bottom cap strip, but the rivet will not poke thru thru fabric.
    Thank you for the reply Jim, I do have the hole in the bottom cap strip so will try 1/4" rivets.