Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alignment or What??

Default Alignment or What??

I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

I have a model III with a bungee gear and FOXKING tires that I "hanger" in an enclosed trailer.

I placed blocks in the ground to help position the mains while the tailwheel is put in a track centered in the trailer. I put the mains on the blocks, tailwheel in the track and winch the plane into the trailer.

It seems that the plane tends to move to the right as it enters the trailer. When I winch the plane back out, it moves to the right even more. It will move 10-12 inches. Picture 1 shows how I position it before winching it into the trailer, picture 2 shows how far to the right it moves when winching it in and back out.

I did a quick check of the alignment and I think that it is toed-in a little, but both seem to be about equal. The distance from the main axel to the tailwheel is equal for both wheels. We just changed the bungees and there seems to be quite a bit of camber with it sitting empty but I think that is to be expected.

I just don't understand why it acts like the mains are turning to the left when winching it into the trailer, and like the mains are turning (a lot) to the right when winching it out of the trailer.

ANY IDEAS?????

Louie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Alignment or What??

Louie,
    The wheels may be aligned perfectly with each other but are not aligned with the center-line of the aircraft, or the gear is not aligned with the center-line. They should be aligned with reference to the center-line of the fuselage, as well as with each other. The only other thing I can think of right now is some possible excess friction (i.e. - a dragging brake) on one of the wheels.
    Last edited by jrevens; 12-13-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Additional thought
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Here is a good tutorial on alignment

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ighlight=align
    Lou
    KitFox II

That is strange. Does the main gear spread when rolled backwards and close back in when rolled forward...due to the toe in? Maybe that has something to do with it but I can't figure out why it doesn't come back to the same spot.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

That is correct. If you have toe in the wheels will tend to come when going forward and spread if you back the plane up.

BTW I am going to add a couple more suggestions to the thread on wheel alignment.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Does it have a tendency to try and ground loop? My dad had a Baby Great Lakes that was a little touchy on landing. He found it had excessive toe-in.

It's not a problem on grass, and I usually try to avoid pavement like the plague. I tried it today and landed twice at two different paved runways, and was even able to fly it back to my home airport.

I think that the toe-in condition that I think exists is most likely the cause. I'll work at correcting the alignment, then let everyone know how it came out.

Loue

What you describe is normal for a plane with poor wheel alignment. On the grass the wheels can slip and the plane keeps going the way the inertia is going. When you land in pavement the plane will go wherever the wheels are pointed.

When you get your wheels aligned your plane should be really sweet on pavement too. Make sure you read my tips that I added to the thread on wheel alignment.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Papua, updates to the alignment thread don't show up for me. Is it my computer not updating?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I didn't see any changes yesterday or today
    Lou
    KitFox II