Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: trailering a KF long distance

Default Re: trailering a KF long distance

I think you will get more of a hassle from the US side as they think you might be bringing it in to someone who bought it and doesn't want to pay full duty on it.

It's a Canadian registered AC so I can't see Canadian customs doing anything more than checking the ownership.

That being said, any countries border guards on a bad day are extremely stressful to deal with so the pictures may definitely help. It won't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox2009 View Post
    Hi Gary
    This is just an opinion but I would suggest using a much lighter sprung trailer.The picture looks like a "car hauler" meant for carrying a few thousand pounds. Your 700 pound a/c won`t provide enough weight to soften the ride.
    If you are going to use this trailer I would at least recommend a shock absorbing arrangement at the tail end.
    You may want to look at the setup I use (look on my albums) in order to distribute the load on my Vixen.The are 2 carry through tubes on the rear fuselage that I pin a "saddle"arrangement to.If you mounted this on a suspension assembly I believe it would be easier on the a/c than what I see on your photograph.
    It would be a shame to bend it now.
    Good luck
    Don
    that makes good sense Don, will make some changes shortly, its only on the trailer for about 6 miles to my airport but agree that suspension is somewhat stiff for a light plane. Much appreciated
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

I just got back home after picking up a Kitfox 4 in Texas. 1400 miles. Here is my trailer and the support I used on the back of the plane. Had to take the tailwheel off cause the angle iron supports were to short with the 8" wheel, but it was no problem. I took off the main wheels cause my trailer is to narrow for the grove gear, as it was made for standard gear width. Plane came though just fine. If I remember right, the was some discussion earlier in this topic about resting on the tailwheel. I would recommend you do it my way. Jim Chuk

PS thanks again for your help Pete!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What are the thoughts on having the plane sitting in a grounded position vs having it level while towing it to avoid the down pressure on the wings? I agree on using the wing braces for the front but built mine so it sat in a level position to avoid what I perceived would be pressure on the wings while they are slanted down towards the front of the trailer?
    I see yours are slanted down towards the front of the trailer. any issues with that type of positioning?
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

I would agree that closer to level would be better, but it didn't seem to be a problem the way it was. The worst is when semis pass you and when they get about 200' ahead of you their slipstream rocks you sideways back and forth quite a bit. I usually drove about 60 MPH and after a while sometimes 65 in light traffic and smooth roads. Jim Chuk

Glad you made it home Jim!
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I may be buying a IV 1200 sometime this coming year and thought about the transport problem. My idea is to rent a UHaul box truck and secure it internally so it doesn' move around. Of course a couple of planks would be required to roll it off/on. Rental wouldn't be any more than buying a trailer, and it could be driven at the speed limit without damage. This in the event it is beyond reasonable flying distance. We flew my Citabria from NE Ohio to Tucson, AZ years ago and I wouldn't look forward to doing it again at 90 MPH. Any ideas?

The box truck probably isn't wide enough to accommodate the IV with wings on. It shouldn't be a problem if you remove them. I'm not sure of the gear width if it has Grove gear on it.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks for the responese. Is there a forum member out there who has a IV 1200 with the Grove spring gear and axles with the wheel pant extensions who would kindly furnish the dimension of the plane at its widest point taking into account wings folded, horizontal stabilizer, main gear. This info would be of tremendous value to somone wanting to close trailer/truck a ship long distance not only myself but others wth the same problem. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by old flyer 86; 09-08-2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarifying

That's exactly how I got my IV-1200 project home from NY, Old Flyer 86.

Be sure to use the wing braces on the one wing left on the plane. The second wing will need to be completely removed to fit in the door of the truck. The horizontal tail will also have to come off to fit.

It may sound funny, but consider also getting several hundred pounds of sandbags as well to ballast the truck. They ride terrible with only a 600# airplane in them…
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos