Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Building tips and hints

Default Re: Building tips and hints

Wire rope is made from cold drawn strand. In the case of stainless the material's ultimate tensile strength increases from about 73ksi to about 197ksi through the drawing process. Heating the cable anneals it, returning it to it's unworked strength of about 73ksi, for a 63% reduction in strength. If you were using 3/32" stainless 7x19, you'd reduce the strength from 920# to about 341#.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Not quite sure if it's worth posting here, but this ruler is super handy for marking out tape locations. It's two inches wide, flexible, transparent, and has the centerline marked. You can just line up the centerline with the seam between the fabric reinforcement tapes, and mark a line down each side.

On one side, there is a line at 1/2 inch in too, so you can mark end ribs and false ribs with only a little more effort. Purchase link.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I used something like that to layout the holes for my rib lacing also, Brian. I cut some strips out of very thin plastic and made my own... worked very well.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I bought that very same ruler; very useful thru the whole project.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Yes,very handy. I got mine at the sewing store my wife goes to.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

If you are going to install a 914, don’t install the intake in the cowl to the rear right as far back as you can like the instructions say. The new oil cooler mounting location interferes with the air filter. You will have to fibre glass over the old hole and move it forward about 2.5”. Ask me how I know....
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default fuselage a kitfox s5

you know how much it is worth and where I can get it fuselage a kitfox s5 and if this can be converted to tricycle

Thank you

This may have been addressed before but, it works so well, I'm going to share. I use 5 and/or 10 cc syringes to make up small quantities of epoxy. I drill out the orifice of the syringe tip to a #40 bit or 1/8". I get the syringes that come individually encased. The case works to store them when not in use. I use one for part A and one for part B and then put them away for re-use.

I draw up the required glue parts in the syringes and then squirt it into a 30 cc medicine cup. These are calibrated by 5 cc increments. These medicine cups are also great for making up small quantities of SuperFil by volume.

WARNING:

I just had another example of a terribly inaccurate Rotax analog tachometer. This example was reading very low causing the initial run and first flights for a friend of mine to over-rev the engine. No damage was done, but the tachometer was over 1000 rpm off.

IMO - Do not use a needle tachometer on a (CDI) Rotax engine without confirming that it is accurate.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thumbs up Re: Building tips and hints

The short version of this story begins with: I really don't like working in stainless. So, in a call to "Kitfox John" on another subject, I thought to ask him what he recommends for cutting the necessary holes in the firewall. His multi-part answer included reference to something called a Rotabroach. I'll admit that I've never heard of such an animal and thought that there just might be someone else in the hinterlands with my level of knowledge on such matters and I should share this tidbit. I'm telling you, this is one great tool!! I still have a love-hate relationship with stainless but am learning to live with her.
    Attached Images Attached Images