Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hub Caps for Douglas Rims?

Default Hub Caps for Douglas Rims?

Hi All,

Has anyone found or had success with fitting some hubcaps to the older 8" Douglas ATV rims?
    I was thinking something like this:
    Golf Cart Hubs

Even if these weren't perfect perhaps I could fibreglass something up?

I'm keen to get some sort of cover over the wheel hubs but don't want to weld lugs on etc...
    Thoughts / Comments?

Cheers
    Jono

Default Re: Hub Caps for Douglas Rims?

Jono,
    I put hubcaps on my first A Model IV. I need an oath of secrecy before I tell the next part. Thanks! My wife is a flight attendant and I occasionally take advantage of her time away to use her things for my projects. The lid of her favorite frying pan had the perfect contour for laying up a couple of convex shapes that I trimmed for the covers themselves. To attach them to the wheel, I found d some aluminum flanges - similar to the ones that secure the large hose under the header tank to the belly fabric, but larger - that I glued to the wheel hub after attaching three anchor nuts. I used carbon fiber tubes as spacers between the hubcap and the flange.

I no longer have the original airplane but do still have the hubcaps. I put many hours on the airplane with the hubs. The only issue was the flanges made checking air pressure and adding air a little more of a challenge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Default Re: Hub Caps for Douglas Rims?

Thanks HighWing... I was thinking of using a lid from a bucket as a mold... Your idea looks better!