Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cargo Pod mounting

Default Cargo Pod mounting

I have a Kitfox II that was originally built in the nineties. When originally bought it was order with almost all options that where available at the time. Cargo pod, large cargo box, (who needs both?) baggage sack, under seat storage compartments, behind the seat storage compartments, floats and so on. The only box that was not ticked in the options order page was wing lockers (for some reason). Most of the options where never installed and some have disappeared over the years, I do however have the baggage sack and under-seat storage compartments installed. I also have the cargo pod, but it has never been installed. I now want to mount it on the airplane but I don’t have the instructions. Is there anyone out there that who has them? Or that has some information on how it is supposed to be mounted.

This is the drop-tank style cargo pod that has a back mount with three attachment points at the back. I have the small tabs on the underside of the plane for those. So the back mount was no problem. There is however no tabs for the front mount. As I understand it the front mount was not attached using tabs both used two eye-bolts thru the floor boards. Does anyone know if that really is how it is supposed to be done?

Thanks!

Default Re: Cargo Pod mounting

Hey Kitfoxswede,
    sorry for the delay. I hope these pix help. I didn't use the standard piano hinge and latch assembly. I just used cam locks.
    I am installing a small set of roller blade wheels in the tail section of the pod and quick release pins in the the mount. I will have a small removable handle up front and should be able to pull the pod through the airport as luggage, except it does look a little bit to … conspicuous. the current arrangement is a CIRCUS to load and unload.
    I am still looking for the instructions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you, that will help a lot!

I am not sure if I will use the piano hinge or if I will use some other system.

Being able to remove the pod for loading/unloading seems like a good idea, not sure how to go about that.

Redesigned my cargo pod with a front opening, makes loading and unloading of stuff much easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas, Switzerland
    KITFOX IV Speedster sold
    KITFOX S7SS flying
    www.flykitfox.net