Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Upgrading Matco Solid Tail-wheel to Pneumatic

Default Upgrading Matco Solid Tail-wheel to Pneumatic

Hi All,

We’ve just upgraded from the 6” Solid wheel to the 7” pneumatic wheel (WHLT-7P) and others may find this post of use one day.

A while back Dad and I were taxiing out for a local flight when the 2-leaf tailspring finally decided to give way after years of service. I emailed John McBean who helped us to organize a new and improved 3 leaf spring. John also mentioned that it would be a good idea to move away from the solid tailwheel that we had (Skystar kit supplied).

When at Oshkosh this year we wandered over to the Matco stand and started talking to the (very helpful) staff. Soon after we’d done a deal and we were the proud owners of a new 7” inch tailwheel.
    We opted for the 7” the staff at Matco explained:
    “The 7 inch tire holds more air and is less susceptible to pressure changes as the 6 inch pneumatic tire is”
    So I finally got around to changing over the tailwheel assembly. I found that the original assembly used a 7/16 bolt to connect to the tailspring while the new one was slightly smaller (actually there was a bush in there)
    So we slowly and carefully drilled out the hole to a 7/16 (this is when we discovered that it had a bush in there.. doh ..)
    20150926_072800.jpg20150926_072814.jpg

After bolting the new assembly straight on it was time to connect the tailwheel steering chains.. Wouldn’t you know it they were too short now. So we added an extra link in each chain and it was perfect.

Time for the test run!

Started up and within seconds of taxiing there was an enormous difference, it was so smooth and even better was the fact that the tailwheel steering was much lighter now (I do recall the Matco guys telling us why back at Oshkosh but I cannot remember the reason)

My only criticism is that I’m not a fan of the grey tire (looks a bit funny to me)20150927_180047.jpg

Anyway… those of you guys still running solid tailwheels, I’d recommend going pneumatic it’s great!
    Jono

Default Re: Upgrading Matco Solid Tail-wheel to Pneumatic

You can upgrade the rim and tyre
    Machine the lower castle nut and hollow bolt,get it welded or drilled to stop it undoing.
    Thes will provide clearance for the larger diameter tyre(2.00x50
    Around 7.5 inches diameter ,these are available at a commercial wheel and caster supplier,and have a near industructable nylon split rim,
    a longer axle bolt 2 washers,job done!
    If you are happy with your present upgrade you will be real happy with the larger softer tyre.
    The matco 8inch would be nice but weight and being taller ruled one out or me

I love my Matco 8 inch pneumatic tail wheel. It helps to see over the cowling when I taxi. Best buy I've made and a whole lot better than that maule wheel.
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

Flash Jono - get some tyre black and a rattle can and it will look great!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Have at it with a Sharpie!

Talking Re: Upgrading Matco Solid Tail-wheel to Pneumatic

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Flash Jono
    hahahaha.....Ross, my tail-wheel is probably smaller than the bearings in your Bush-wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by mscotter
    Have at it with a Sharpie!
    As a child I never could keep my colouring inside the lines.. so there'd be Sharpie all over the hangar walls

Carry and extra tube and tools to change it. I had non stop flats using that set up. That is the front tire off a wheel chair. The 8" can be ran flat and on grass you don't even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by SS7Flyer View Post
    Carry and extra tube and tools to change it. I had non stop flats using that set up. That is the front tire off a wheel chair. The 8" can be ran flat and on grass you don't even notice.
    Thanks Mate, I was a little concerned about that.. I'm also heavily involved with the gliding scene and I know that our workshop put the remains of an old tube inside the tire (kinda like a liner i guess) and this has aparantly reduced tailwheel flats in gliders / tow planes to almost zero. One rainy day (and hopefully not before) I might do the same.

Still the 8" is looking better with each post.....
    Jono

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Thanks Mate, I was a little concerned about that.. I'm also heavily involved with the gliding scene and I know that our workshop put the remains of an old tube inside the tire (kinda like a liner i guess) and this has aparantly reduced tailwheel flats in gliders / tow planes to almost zero. One rainy day (and hopefully not before) I might do the same.

Still the 8" is looking better with each post.....
    Jono
    I've got one of the lightweight 8" Matco wheels... thinking about giving it a dose of "Slime". If you use the proper quantity it's less likely to cause an out of balance condition. It also slows down air loss through the tube.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi, I have been using the Matco 8" light weight since spring 2011. I upgraded from a lang 6x2 solid, it made a big difference, smoothed out the bumps. It has worked flawlessly for me. I have a new tire and tube coming, the tire is starting to get some cracks in between the ribs the ribs are worn down allot too(~350hrs). I put air in it maybe 3 times a year when it is getting too soft.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW