Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large cargo pod

Default Re: Large cargo pod

I found this post from back country pilot. My question would be how much would my Kitfox IV mid strut attachment points hold? They look big and weigh 8 lbs empty but look like they would hold a lot of stuff. What do you think?

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/for...8?p=247913#top

Building a S7 with its huge cargo area, I don't anticipate needing anything external, but those really look cool.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Not sure at all about how much the mid-strut attachment points would hold, but I'd rather have balanced cargo pods there than under the belly. Interesting, and I'll have to follow up a bit on these.

Quote Originally Posted by colospace View Post
    Building a S7 with its huge cargo area, I don't anticipate needing anything external, but those really look cool.
    True but when you put two folding bikes in the baggage area one might still needs room for a back pack or two
    I currently use the belly pod but those wing pods look pretty handy.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by happiestflying View Post
    Not sure at all about how much the mid-strut attachment points would hold, but I'd rather have balanced cargo pods there than under the belly. Interesting, and I'll have to follow up a bit on these.
    I don't think that those strut attachment points/fittings are designed for that kind of load on a Kitfox. They are basically there to just stabilize the lift struts & keep them from starting to curve & bend when under compression, so they are really not that strongly attached to either the spar or the struts.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I would say the weak point on that would be the aluminum brackets that the jury strut attaches to the main struts. After that the attach points on the wings. I think the jury struts themselves would be quite strong.