Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing tip attachments

Default Wing tip attachments

Hi Guys,

As I get closer to covering more and more questions pop up.

As I read the wing tip attachment strips procedure I should wait until after covering to install the strips? If I drill the strips and capstrips and countersink the capstrips and then cover the capstrips do I pop rivet the strips through the fabric???????????????????/////////

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Wing tip attachments

Rivit the wingtip strips after covering but before tape. I used solid rivets but pop rivets will work.

Agree with Scott. I drilled, c'sunk and fitted the strips before covering, but did not actually rivet and glue them until after covering.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

exactly what the current manual says to do

Smile Re: Wing tip attachments

Current Manual - that might be a good idea.

Has there been a revision of FAB-A-5 since 1994? I'm referring to step 8.

I like putting the tips on and overlapping the wing fabric onto the tip.

Seems like just a builders choice or is the some science behind putting the tips on later?

Appreciate your time.

Jim

Since you didn't state what model you were building in your OP, I assumed you were working on a 7.

The wing tips butt against the fabric and are attached with screws. I favor this method because it gives me access to the electrical connections inside the tips.

Hi Tim,
    A little background - I thought I was done building airplanes after a IO-320 Lancair and redoing a S-35 V-tail Bonanza and then I bought a S5 TD kit that was 1 percent done.

Fabric is new to me but I'm having a great time and will be going to the covering workshop in Seattle in Oct.

Builder's choice- it's a wonderful thing!

Thanks again.

Jim

I also have a way of trying to customize my projects. On the kitfox I am really stuck on following the book exactly the way it is designed because it's such a good design! The best I have come up with is some 3D printed parts and of course laying out the panel to my desires.

lol - it's my third (first fabric plane) and my wife says it's my last. She is an awesome supporter and assistant but she is seeing the pain I endure from the long hours. She saved me yesterday from screwing up a bubble door. I talk out loud while I am thinking about my next move. She just happened to hear me say something obviously wrong and stopped me with a spinning drill in my hand.

I seem to forget how much work it is. It truly becomes a labor of love. At my age it's harder to do the long hours I used to throw at my builds.