Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Taping tail section ribs

Default Taping tail section ribs

Is it necessary to tape the ribs in the tail, vertical stabilizer, horizontal stabilizer and rudder? SS7 build.

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Taping tail section ribs

Not sure what you mean by "tape". You talking about the 2" finish tapes over the ribs? Or anti-chafe tape under the fabric?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I did both.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was talking about 1" finishing tape over the ribs. I see that Mr Bill taped before he covered also - I had not planned on that. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Tom

I believe the finishing tapes over the ribs are necessary. The rule of thumb on covering is: Anywhere the fabric is in contact with a structural member (tube, rib, reinforcing plate, etc.) a second layer usually a finish tape should be installed.

I did not put the anti-chafe tape under the fabric as Mr. Bill did because the manual did not call for it, although it sure wouldn't hurt other than weight. Make sure the rib edges are smooth and rounded.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I am going through the same process now and would like to jump in if I can.

Perimeter tapes. For the curves surfaces should I be using a bias tape, or is straight fine as long as I shrink the edges to fit (as when doing the original covering)?

For the finish rib tapes, lets say for just one rib. I was thinking using one each side of the rib (one per surface). However, I just saw a Kitfox with the tapes that were one piece (I.e. they wrapped around the control surface).

Which is correct, or are they both acceptable?

If separate pieces, how close to the linear end of the surface edge should these run? Obviously they need to be long enough to be under the perimeter tapes, but should they be back from the surface edge a touch (maybe 1/4" or so)?

Regular finish tapes are fine for most gently curving edges, as long as you can work them down without wrinkling. I did use some bias tape on the more curvy places and they are a joy to work with; so easy to get to lay flat around most anything. Just remember they do shrink somewhat in width as you pull them around, so allow for that.

I think either way of treating the rib finish tapes is acceptable. I did use one piece for both surfaces in most areas.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I bought a whole roll and only used a few feet. Let me know what you need and I would sell what you need, pro rated $.
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade