Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glare Shield Eyebrow?

Default Glare Shield Eyebrow?

The person that built my plane cut the glare shield off flush with the panel. I would prefer that it overhangs a small amount to form an eyebrow. Did some of you guys make or buy a moulding that you install around the corner? I called Kitfox and they said they do not offer such a thing. Thanks.

Default Re: Glare Shield Eyebrow?

I used the same material that Kitfox uses around the edge of the firewall. Looks nice and covers the sharp edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You may need to fabricate some kind of extension to make a solid lip past the surface of the glareshield.

On our plane, the fiberglass glare shield was cut to 1" overhang; and, a length of rubber vacuum hose was split lenght-wise to slip over the edge.

A rheostat controlled red LED self adhesive strip from Stein Air fit nicely under and behind the rounded lip of the vacuum hose.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

To finish off the edge cushion/protector I used a rubber U-shaped extrusion from McMaster-Carr. They have all kinds of sizes and shapes for many thicknesses. To extend the glare shield out about 1" you will have to do something else, and then also extend the fabric/carpeting. If it was me, I think I would just buy a new fiberglass glare shield from Kitfox (can't be very expensive) and trim it to overhang 1" and cover it with new fabric and finish the edge as above.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The original builder of the Mangy did the same thing, cutting the fiberglass flush with the panel. I used the same carpet for the glare shield that I used on the rest of the interior. I cut it 4" long so that I could fold it over on itself for a 1-1/2 lip and 1/2" attached to the underside of the fiberglass.

This lip is flexible, yet rigid enough to hold position. It really serves no purpose but looks nicer than just a flush edge, IMO.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

So, I ordered a new glare shield from kitfox just so I could have an overhang on my model III panel. I received it yesterday and was comparing it to my original. It does not appear to be very close (much larger and windshield attach area seems different.) I would assume they sent me one for a model IV as they do not really support the model III. Does anyone know if the model IV should be the same as the model III one or did they possibly send me one for a SS7? Would like to know before I start modifying it. Thanks

Bluebird, I think the 4 one should be the same as a 3. Post a picture of it and I'll dig out my 3 glare shield and compare it.
    James T
    Valrico, FL

If it’s 4” wider it’s probably for an SS7
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

A 4 would be deeper than a 3, as the 4 have more windscreen "rake"