Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pre-mix or inject or both?

Default Pre-mix or inject or both?

Older but zero time Rotax 582 grey head on a IV with non-alcohol resistant fuel tank. I will run avgas but wonder whether it’s best to pre-mix or rely on the injection system.

Would there be any problem with running both pre-mix and injected oil?

If running only pre-mix how should I disable the injection system?

Thx
    Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Default Re: Pre-mix or inject or both?

Any thing can fail, but those injection systems are pretty dependable. I never got rid of the ones I flew behind. Have it on the Kitfox 1 now. If you can get non oxagenated premium auto gas, that's probably better for the engine than avgas. JImChuk

Google rotax rick and read on his website. Basically the way I feel is that the injection pumps are extremely reliable and have been used for many years, but they can fail. He suggests eliminating it but if you want to run it add at least enough GOOD oil to make your mixture like 200:1 (don’t quote me). Also if you can’t run regular premium pump(ethanol mix) that you should run av gas. The reasoning is that non ethanol at the stations is more likely to contain water etc it sits in the tanks at the station a lot longer due to people not using it as much where as av gas is controlled a lot better.

We have non oxygenated premium available at some stations here in Mn. I use it all the time in my Avid and that's all that goes into the Chief I'm part owner in. Maybe our gas get used up faster up here, but I have never found any water in the fuel when I sump it. YMMV. JImChuk

Been using non-alcohol premium mogas from gas stations and airports for 600 hours with never any water or dirt. In the Portland, OR area.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Not so worried about fuel as we don’t have mogas without alcohol around here so must run avgas.

My concern is more about using too much oil in the fuel. Pre-mix plus injected? How much is too much? What might I see? Fouled plugs? Etc?

Will go rear Rotax Ricks website now.

Jon

Interesting reading on Rotax Ricks site. He recommends adding 3.2 ounces of oil for every 5 gallons when using the injector too. He’s very particular about his recommendation to use Amsoil Interceptor oil at 40:1. No mention of disabling the injection system so I’ll run it and the 3.2 oz pre-mix.

Thanks for reminding me to look up Rotax Rick. We have spoken in the past and he was very helpful. My engine had sat new, un-run for years and he recommended that I “Fly it like you stole it.” (my words) rather than do a pre-emptive IRAN.

Jon

He told me that if you can't get a hold of amsoil that quicksilver(sold at wal mart) is almost as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird19kf View Post
    He told me that if you can't get a hold of amsoil that quicksilver(sold at wal mart) is almost as good.
    and half the price