Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Conditional inspection cost

Default Conditional inspection cost

I have a old KF that needs a conditional inspection.

I am not the builder of the aircraft and it would need all the rotax inspection and compression checks.

What prices would I be expecting to pay? $300? $600? $1000?

Default Re: Conditional inspection cost

I pay less than your lowest figure. Find an AnP that does it more as a sideline on evenings and weekends. Mine comes to my place even. And remember, he only needs to be an Anp. Does not need to have the IA like a certified aircraft would need. JImChuk

Hockeystud87 - As Avid suggested the price can be highly variable. Some items that can impact the price are tied to how much of the work you do. The regs allow you to do all of the work on your A/C (if experimental) but the inspection has to be by an A&P. You can certainly make the job quicker and easier for the inspector. E.g., opening the inspection panels, pulling the cowling, pulling the wheel pants, etc., etc. If s/he finds something that needs fixed or replaced, you can do the task if so inclined. And, year-to-year, as s/he gets a better idea as to your capability, you might be allowed to do some of the inspection under supervision. All-in-all, a great way to learn your plane better and reduce your costs.

I guess what I'm confused about is what exactly you're paying for?

I was quoted 600-700. But hes going to check my compression and look at my plane inside and out I think. It hasn't flown in some time. These really low prices what exactly are they doing? Just showing up and signing stuff?

I'm sure you can find a conditional inspection checklist for your aircraft model. Then it's fairly easy to go down the list and check each item off as it is inspected. Most of that doesn't take very long. Don't remember what engine you have, but if it's a 2 stroke, you pull the plugs and run a compression test. Probably about 120-130 PSI should be good, and especially they should be fairly close to each other. Usually a leak down test isn't done on 2 strokes as far as I know. At least we've never done them. Generally checking each item and pass or fail on them. On these simple airplanes, probably a few hours is all that's needed. 600 or 700 is pretty good pay for that. Ouch! Remember, you can fix the failed items yourself. JImChuk

I'm going to try and pass it as he's going to give it a good deep check as it's the first time in 2 decades. And if it looks like it's just a show up and hit check box's then I'll try to renegotiate or try else where.

I have a Model 4 with a Rotax 912ul. I'll see what there is for a check list for that air plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeystud87 View Post
    I have a old KF that needs a conditional inspection.

I am not the builder of the aircraft . . .
    Are you saying you have purchased a used KF that has been sitting around? If that is the case you really need someone that will do a thorough job and not a quick look over. It would be ideal to get someone who knows Kitfox aircraft and Rotax engines.

Part of an inspection is going through the paperwork and maintenance records. On a certified aircraft this can take the better part of a day. I would want to see records for the maintenance history, repairs, installation of any new equipment, compliance with any applicable service bulletins and possible ADs (some apply to EAB products). I would also need to see the ARROW items (Airworthiness cert., Registration, Radio license, Operation Limitations & W&B) to make sure they are present and current. If the logbooks and paperwork are in good shape it really makes the inspection much quicker, even on an EAB.

It can take hours for an A&P to find the right checklist and manuals for an aircraft. Again you can make it much easier by having all of this available. Do you have a proper checklist for your model Kitfox and the Rotax engine? Do you have copies of the maintenance and parts manuals for the airframe, engine, prop, avionics, and other equipment? Are they current?

As an A&P-IA I think $400-500 would be fair for a proper inspection if you are going to do most of the opening, cleaning and closing up. Before I quote a price I will want to see the plane, the logbooks and see if you have inspection check lists, manuals, etc. If everything is in bad shape I would give a higher price or chose not to take on the job, especially if I sense the owner wants to do everything on the cheap.

The bottom line is you need someone to certify that this plane is in a condition safer for flight. It is is a huge responsibility for and A&P to put their name on the bottom line whether the plane is certified or experimental.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Are you saying you have purchased a used KF that has been sitting around? If that is the case you really need someone that will do a thorough job and not a quick look over. It would be ideal to get someone who knows Kitfox aircraft and Rotax engines.

Part of an inspection is going through the paperwork and maintenance records. On a certified aircraft this can take the better part of a day. I would want to see records for the maintenance history, repairs, installation of any new equipment, compliance with any applicable service bulletins and possible ADs (some apply to EAB products). I would also need to see the ARROW items (Airworthiness cert., Registration, Radio license, Operation Limitations & W&B) to make sure they are present and current. If the logbooks and paperwork are in good shape it really makes the inspection much quicker, even on an EAB.

It can take hours for an A&P to find the right checklist and manuals for an aircraft. Again you can make it much easier by having all of this available. Do you have a proper checklist for your model Kitfox and the Rotax engine? Do you have copies of the maintenance and parts manuals for the airframe, engine, prop, avionics, and other equipment? Are they current?

As an A&P-IA I think $400-500 would be fair for a proper inspection if you are going to do most of the opening, cleaning and closing up. Before I quote a price I will want to see the plane, the logbooks and see if you have inspection check lists, manuals, etc. If everything is in bad shape I would give a higher price or chose not to take on the job, especially if I sense the owner wants to do everything on the cheap.

The bottom line is you need someone to certify that this plane is in a condition safer for flight. It is is a huge responsibility for and A&P to put their name on the bottom line whether the plane is certified or experimental.
    Great response! Thank you taking time to respond to my post your info was very insightful.

So the Kitfox has been sitting for about 18 years. It's always been hangar-ed and my grandfather took meticulous care of his stuff (They have a 86 Honda that looks like they just bought it "depression era folk"). It was ran every 2-5 years and currently runs great.

Do you have a proper checklist for your model Kitfox and the Rotax engine? I have not located one of these and i'm not sure where to find one but have looked around and located the below

http://kitfoxaircraft.com/images/PDF..._checklist.pdf

https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/ea...0checklist.pdf

https://avsport.org/acft/Rotax/rotax..._checklist.pdf

Do you have copies of the maintenance and parts manuals for the airframe, engine, prop, avionics, and other equipment? Are they current? My grandfather kept all the build material and instructions for the aircraft, plus I have his notes from build as well. I also have all the logs for the aircraft frame and motor. They're all 20 years old but I have the originals. Plus I have updated the logs with the current work I have done on the aircraft (Fuel lines, oil hoses, rebuilt carbs, etc.).

I am not really worried about the cost as much as making sure I am purchasing the correct inspection. I want to make sure the aircraft is given a thorough inspection before I put my self or another person as a CFI in the plane. It sounds like this is what i'm getting!

Your response was very helpful! This will be my first time every doing a annual/conditional inspection for an aircraft and I didn't even know where to start. Now I'll try to gather as much of the info you listed to have it provided to the A&P for the inspection to help them out.

I understand this will take a little longer due to the fact it's not been in operation for a very long time and I would 100% not accept a ramp checkout.