Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the “highest” HP someone has put into a Kitfox?

Default Re: What is the “highest” HP someone has put into a Kitfox?

ya, the 140 really doesn't mean anything other than don't point the nose down and let her go. I don't think you are going to get that really, level flight. yes I have had to watch the vne in my 4. Like I said the ss model is a great airplane if your looking for a new one or newer model. The sti sounds good, but I think it would be limiting too much. when it comes to performance, don't think Cessna in the back country, these little planes really do perform. I have no problem with mine even if I ended up in a closed canyon. I know my airplane can do a turn around in the closest area. not going to say anything more, of course there is always the hammer head wing over, which is real fun also. these things are some of the things you learn for back country. of course, don't just go back there, get training, there is a bunch of options for that. I think for the first time flyer or low time pilot the model 4 -7 would be more than enough for a real good time and you don't have to learn all the fun stuff right away, you will learn with a life time of experiences that will go on like the energizer bunny.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Man, Slyfox is a wise fox for owning a Kitfox. I agree with all that you have said here. I was extremely taken back at the information overload I got from Paul at S&R as he introduced me to backcountry landing.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    ya, the 140 really doesn't mean anything other than don't point the nose down and let her go. I don't think you are going to get that really, level flight. yes I have had to watch the vne in my 4. Like I said the ss model is a great airplane if your looking for a new one or newer model. The sti sounds good, but I think it would be limiting too much. when it comes to performance, don't think Cessna in the back country, these little planes really do perform. I have no problem with mine even if I ended up in a closed canyon. I know my airplane can do a turn around in the closest area. not going to say anything more, of course there is always the hammer head wing over, which is real fun also. these things are some of the things you learn for back country. of course, don't just go back there, get training, there is a bunch of options for that. I think for the first time flyer or low time pilot the model 4 -7 would be more than enough for a real good time and you don't have to learn all the fun stuff right away, you will learn with a life time of experiences that will go on like the energizer bunny.
    Is the “hammerhead wing over” a stall?

No, it's a turning maneuver for reversing course in smallest possible area. If you've ever seen an acro performance you've likely seen a hammerhead demonstrated. In the hands of the right pilot, it's quite impressive.

That’s pushing it. These things aren’t acrobatics raterd are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Yea, I was reading the VNE is 140, but VA is not listed which is more important.
    Vno might be more applicable than Va. Va would be an extremely conservative cruise speed in most airplanes. Incidentally, does anyone know what Vno and Va are published as for the SLSAs?

(Edit: I just remembered that I programmed this into my EFIS already: Vno is 139, so basically, you're good all the way up to Vne.)

If you're concerned at all about cruise speed, you want the standard wing. I agree with Slyfox. STOL is en vogue right now, and a lot of people are going for the STi wing. But the standard wing on the Kitfox hits a pretty nice sweet spot, and still gets you into and out of just about everywhere you've seen Trent land.

I'll bite. What are your more exotic engine plans?
    Last edited by aviator79; 11-30-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    That’s pushing it. These things aren’t acrobatics raterd are they?
    Check this out. Probably won't do this with the STi wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFwPlP4CZ6o
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Vno might be more applicable than Va. Va would be an extremely conservative cruise speed in most airplanes.
    I'm pretty sure there are things that Trent and the cowboys are doing that will never be put into vids. with my little 4 I can come in and land and use 300ft. that's pretty short, not for competition standards, but who cares in my opinion. Most pilots I'm going out and say 95%, will never use what the sti has to offer. Most those pilots will be doing an airline approach and landing. I never do a landing that isn't a short, most are radical shorts. That's with my 4. I have no plans on the sti wing, don't know if it can go on my fox, I'm sure it could be done. I love my 120mph too much. I do believe my landing speed is right at 35mph in ground effect. that's good enough for me. I know I can bring my fox in and land it where I want it and do a good short, better than 95% of the pilots out there. something to think about.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

One more thing to put into the fire. I would really like to do more with my kitfox but I feel limited. Why? there is nobody in my area that likes to fly like me. LOW AND SLOW. What you say, yup, most people want to go up to 2k above ground. no fun up there. I like to fly in the boonies and fly low and canyon run. haven't found anybody that likes that here. So you may aspire to fly like trent, but having a wing man I feel is very important. why? if there is trouble, there is a person to cover your back. I fly to small airports in the mountains, but I don't really like it by myself. wish I had a wing man.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Regarding Kitfox "acro" rating, yes the factory says not rated for aerobatics, but the SS7 IS rated for +4, -2 g's. So if you keep it within these limits the airplane doesn't know or care whether you are doing "acro" or not.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS