Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Carb sync? Never again.

Default Re: Carb sync? Never again.

Here are some photos of the setup before mounting on engine. I will get more of the complete setup when I get a chance to visit hangar and open the cowl (its -19 C outside)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would really not want to put those iron fittings into the aluminum manifold. Lots of ways to use aluminum fittings.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Original fittings in the manifold are not aluminium. So, whats your reasoning for not using these ones? I can easily replace them with other 'recommended' material.

I'm pretty sure my original stock fittings are aluminum. Galvanic corrosion with dissimilar metals would be an issue here. Cad plated steel fittings may be better, but your unplated water pipe fittings would be a worst case in my opinion. Aluminum fittings are readily available, light weight, and look much better also. Just throwing my opinion out there.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The small OEM fittings are definitely aluminum.

Aluminum 90ยบ elbows are readily available through Jegs or Summit Racing. That's where I got mine, 3/4" NPT to 1" Tube.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Sorry if I"m bringing my "North Idaho Hick fix" to the party but I didn't change the fittings.
    I clamped a hose to the fitting and then added a rubber hose cross tube with a larger Inner Diameter so that it fit snuggly over the outer diameter of the short piece on my elbow. No drilling, no dissimilar metal, and the result is the same. A larger space in the crossover tube, period. Anyone see where I have gone wrong?
    I'm 60 hours into it and its perfect all through the range on my 912UL

Cant resize the pix on my mac, i'm working on it. If you want pix send me your email.
    Jayandpamela@yahoo.com

Off Topic Warning..

Wheels, check the Mac App Store for Multiple Image Resizer. Quick easy, free and works.

Ralph

Thanks. Here's a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I'm pretty sure my original stock fittings are aluminum. Galvanic corrosion with dissimilar metals would be an issue here. Cad plated steel fittings may be better, but your unplated water pipe fittings would be a worst case in my opinion. Aluminum fittings are readily available, light weight, and look much better also. Just throwing my opinion out there.
    Just for healthy discussion please -
    Checked and the original fittings are not aluminium..at least on mine. If the difference of material is a big concern here with galvanic corrosion in this environment/application, then how about the two bolts on each manifold threaded straight into the manifold that hold the carb sockets on? Second would be the main 4 bolts that hold the manifold on cylinders ..that are not aluminium and are screwed into aluminium cylinder heads.

I am still on the look for aluminium fittings but all I could source for now have smaller ID on the tube side. I will keep looking.

That's a good question and good points. I believe that there would be very little potential for corrosion with galvanized steel fittings and the cast aluminum manifolds. First of all, it is a generally very dry location and additionally the threads will probably be sealed from moisture by some kind of thread sealing compound. Secondly, the 2 metals are very close together on a galvanic series chart. Aluminum and plated (cadmium or zinc) steel are in contact with each other all over the place on most aircraft engines, including fasteners, fittings, etc. Stainless steel however would not be as good a choice from a potential corrosion standpoint.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime