Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Thinking about a kf model 1

Default Thinking about a kf model 1

Hello
    Im a first time poster and I'm thinking about buying a model 1 that ive found. It comes with a trailer and skies, has a 532, 6 gal wing tanks, 2.8 gal header tank. The fabric is 27 years old, and there's 450 hrs ttae. It currently lives in a hanger/barn. The engine was last resealed by a snow machine mechanic about a yeay ago. The ac was last annualed in 2015. Im looking for as much information as i can find. I really like SkySteve's bubble doors, but right now i need to learn as much as I can about the model 1. Thanks
    Hank

Default Re: Thinking about a kf model 1

I had one that I sold last summer. It did have a 582, but pretty much the same power as the 532. It was a fun light airplane. Gross weight is a bit on the low side at 850, or 950 if it had the Kitfox 2 spars. (they have a full length verticle center stiffener built into the spars and were in the later Kitfox 1s) (I) They are also a bit narrow for two people at 36" wide. If you were going to recover the fuselage, it would be a good time to widen it a bit which wouldn't be that hard. I have some videos of mine flying on utube. Search my name and you will find them. Look the rib tails over pretty good for any sign of rot or cracks, that applies to the Kitfox 2s and 3s and all the Avid Flyers as well. Jim Chuk

PS welcome to the group!

I like mine there lots of fun. But I agree with Jim about building a widening kit for the sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

tj, I like your doors

Hey thanks. This is what I started with, Some tubing and an affordable bender. With a small amount of patients of course.
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

I flew a model 2 for 20 years with a 532/Jabiru 80hp/582 with RK 400 clutch.
    The last 4 years with the 582 C-box which allows the use of the clutch were the best.
    Simple start up procedure without the gear box chatter.
    At under 500 pounds it flew like a home sick angel and was a blast to fly.
    At 6’-1” and 210 pounds I fit great even with a passenger.
    I had slightly bowed our the doors.
    If the price is right, it flys well, buy it.
    V

Hi, New to kit fox and this community. Buying a Model I B 1988. Probably needs the 532 rebuilt or replaced. How can I tell if it has the reinforced wings that were on the later model I? Maybe need a set of plans? any advice appreciated.

Are you talking about a Kitfox model 1? If so, look at the end of the wing spars, they weren't simple tubes, but rather an extrusion with a center stiffener. Here is a picture of one I had. That should raise the gross weight from 850 to 950 lbs. JImChuk

Thank you, now I will know what to look for. James

Also there is a small diamond shape that needs to be welded on the bottom of the wing struts. snoop around a bit there was a service ebullition for that one.
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp