Quote Originally Posted by kitfox5v View Post
Thanks guys, Keep them coming. Any information will help us all. I love this forum. It's nice to have fellow builders input. I'm not ready yet so maybe they will have all problems solved by then. I just don't believe running a 912 5000 plus just to spine a prop 2000rpms is cost effective in the long run. just seems like alot of wear to me.Thanks Eddie Kitfox5v
There are a few differences you have to look at with that too. The biggest one being displacement. A 912 is roughly 1200cc and a O-200 is 3300cc yet they run the same horsepower. The 912 has a shorter stroke and because of this can run at a higher RPM easier (Due to easier balancing, slower piston speed, etc). It gears down its high RPM to a lower shaft speed and gains a mechanical advantage for this. Because of this mechanical advantage I wouldn't say there is anymore wear and tear than an engine with a long stroke/low rpm that is doing all the work off the cylinders. The one trade off with the high rpm is you usually gain peak power but lose torque.

It is just two different ways of skinning a cat. Much like a 4.3lFerrari engine that makes 500hp and a 7.0l corvette engine making 500 hp.