Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: ads-b coverage question

Default ads-b coverage question

I've been out of aviation and just now getting back after too many years. My strip ID is 36II and by looking at the FAA map I'm within the 30 mile radius that requires ads-b out. But I'm below their controlled airspace. What the heck? Do I have to spend all that money for ads-b even though I'm not in their airspace? I thought there was an exception under 2500ft, but is that only over 10,000 feet?

Default Re: ads-b coverage question

You're required. The 30 mile veil is surface up. The actual controlled airspace varies.

Ralph

I had more time to research. Looks like Indy is class C so the 30 mile rule does not apply. Just have to stay below the upper, wider class C airspace.

Sounds good then. ADS-B is required in any airspace that a transponder would be required (after 2020)
    Ralph

For what it's worth once you start flying with it, you would never want to go
    without. It's the worlds best traffic spotter in my opinion. Hard to spend the
    money, but it's a good investment in safety.

Jeff