Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landing Light Mounting

Default Landing Light Mounting

I am going to mount an Aeroled Microsun landing light in the nose of my SS7 cowl. I have seen them mounted just inside the center oval air inlet under the prop, with the mounting bracket fastened to the engine rather than the cowling. This method allows the cowl to be removed without disconnecting any wires, and the location in the air inlet has negligible affect on cooling I have been told.

I would like to see photos or details of the mounting bracket and how it attaches to the engine if anyone has done this and can share some details. I believe John McBeans plane has a landing light mounted like this; maybe he would share some info.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Landing Light Mounting

Mounted to the engine - I certainly would not do this with a halogen lamp, and it may beat the electronics in the light to death. Often when LED lamps fail it is something in the power supply rather than the LEDs. Mounted directly to the engine is surely high vibration.

Jim, You could mount your landing light to the bottom cowl with a plug that could be easily unplugged when you remove the top cowl before the bottom cowl comes off.

Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFox View Post
    Jim, You could mount your landing light to the bottom cowl with a plug that could be easily unplugged when you remove the top cowl before the bottom cowl comes off.

Scott.
    +1 this is what I did
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I suppose I will do it this way also, but first I am waiting for a reply to an email I sent John McBean asking how he did it and if he has had any problems with engine vibrations.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

John has responded that his landing light is mounted to the lower cowl, not the engine as I had thought. He has had no trouble with it. So I will be mounting mine the same way.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Here's my solution, which in addition to my wingtip lights, I personally (and humbly)
    consider to be THE best lighting solution ever invented for a Kitfox.

Jeff Hays
    N85AE Series 5/Continental IO-240B
    Attached Images Attached Images

Observant forum followers will recall I mostly use paper charts, not
    electronics so I need the big Halogen light for night time pilotage ...

Jeff

I am unable to mount my LED taxi and landing lights from Aircraft Spruce like Jeff did his, (I tried!) but my 912UL's radiator is blocking the use of a bar. I like Jeff's solution best...but it won't work for me.

I took some 1/8' aluminum bar stock, 2.5" wide and bent it...drilled some holes, anchored it with two AN4 bolts, and presto... This is structurally sound... it is not going anywhere.

These pictures were taken while I was assembling it.. the bracket nuts are NOT torqued down yet... I hope to finish the wiring tomorrow... I will use a couple of electrical wire ties to hold the disconnect plugs inside the aluminum "V"

Cheers, Grover
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

This is how I did my landingslights: molded in the lower frontcowling a tube in which a 12V halogeenbulb fitted. Bulb stays put with silicon-putty. Detachable wires, switch, fuse, ready. And no drag whatsoever....