Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: dle's Oz Build

Default Re: dle's Oz Build

Yep Ross, looking forward to flying adventures. I'm heading to Stick and Rudder early July for some handling familiarisation and couple of Ranch overnights for some back country flying. And then off to Oshkosh ... as you do.

Ben, the fabric covering has come together ok. I took the advice from some other builders on the site and split up the work by doing other stuff in between. Breaks the monotony. Having said that though, thoroughly enjoying the process and it'll be really good to see it finished, ready for painting. I've got several colour schemes in mind, just not sure which one to jump on, although yellow/orange and black with some striping is starting to firm as favourite - today.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Nice Dave - We will be the colourful ones with our battle ship grey protector flying alongside... very nice battle ship grey though...

get a wiggle on you too!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I tell you, he's making it for me. I'm ex-Royal Navy; why else do you think he's painting it that colour (and making a magnificent job of it to boot)

Good luck with that Paul!

By the way , how is your build going?? (I am sure Dave wont mind the little diversion on his thread for a fellow Ozzie)

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

My build will be nothing like you guys. I won't even be allowed to pretend I've built an aircraft as most of it is final assembly. The Eurofox comes beautifully covered and painted from the factory in Slovakia and then rank amateurs, myself being the rankest, are allowed to do the the other 51%. I go to the factory and get taught how to cover but I'm hoping the guys there don't actually let me touch anything. Seeing as how they factory-build these for the rest of the world I think they might just have the upper hand and know what they're talking about.

I had to push my delivery date back due to personal reasons but I'm expecting to take delivery in (probably) Oct. I can then go about gluing on engines etc. I am quite pleased with my panel design and the infrastructure to complete it. I think I've designed a pretty good electrical system (that varies from the standard way of doing things) and think I'll have a simple-looking, yet very capable bunch of avionics. I've bought all the kit I need, have designed my MGL screens and really just need to crack on with it.

In the meantime I've almost bought a bit of land to build a hangar. Got planning permission to do so and now have to go through the red tape of building a simple steel shed in England. I really need to export a WA concreters for a week or so and get done in two days what the English lot are claiming will take considerably longer.....read a LOT more $$$s

Luckily I've got a brand new RV8 that a mate of mine is trusting me to test within the next couple of months. He's a very trusting soul (and an excellent builder of aircraft) and I've got to bone up on Dynon stuff and forget my MGL stuff for a while

Tundra tyres on an RV8 and playing around with the East Coast Kitfox posse could be fun

Do you have any pictures of tips for doing the bottom of the rudder? I wasn't planning on adding additional fairing material down there. I don't believe they do it on the LSAs. and I think it looks cleaner to maintain the fuselage line down the rudder. I was planning on wrapping the left side fabric all the way around and gluing it to the top of the bottom rib, and then bringing the right side fabric up and putting the seam along the left edge of the rib. My concern is that there isn't a lot of internal structure under the overlapping seam, but I'm not sure how else to do it.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

David, here's what I did. Just some powder coated aluminum sheet with a couple of screws into a couple of clip nuts on the rib. And yes, I did drop a few fasteners while installing the rudder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Do you have any pictures of tips for doing the bottom of the rudder? I wasn't planning on adding additional fairing material down there. I don't believe they do it on the LSAs. and I think it looks cleaner to maintain the fuselage line down the rudder. I was planning on wrapping the left side fabric all the way around and gluing it to the top of the bottom rib, and then bringing the right side fabric up and putting the seam along the left edge of the rib. My concern is that there isn't a lot of internal structure under the overlapping seam, but I'm not sure how else to do it.
    Hey Brian. Gary (Colorspace) has given us both the solution to the removable plug/plate. Thanks Gary. As far as wrapping the fabric at the base of the Rudder, I’ve done exactly as you described it. It worked out great. As you know by now with the covering you’ve done, this fabric is extremely resilient. If you are configuring as a taildragger, this area will get hammered with grass, dust, stones and other crap. So I’m adding another 2 or 3 layers of fabric as reinforcement, in addition to the tapes. Then melt couple of drain holes and we’re done. Also, there’s enough structure around there for this arrangement to work. Just overlap the seam 1” to 2”.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    ....Tundra tyres on an RV8 and playing around with the East Coast Kitfox posse could be fun
    An East Coast Kitfox posse for an RV8 ..... picture ... trying .... to ... visualise

Did my initial tailwheel training in a Eurofox. Fantastic fun aeroplane to fly ..... and had to learn tap dancing on Rudder pedals very quickly !
    David
    SS7 Builder

So I haven't posted for about 5 months or so, mainly because I've been out of the country for about 3 months during that time. My 7SS project has therefore sat all on its lonesome wondering where I am.

So, to make it up, I've finished off the fuselage fabric covering after laying in the wire harness and given it all the coats of poly brush per the manual and two coats of poly spray so far. Like many other builders, the biggest challenge for me in fabric covering was the razorback area. So I cheated and split it down the middle and bonded a saddle piece over the centre. With tapes added, it's come up looking not too bad. The fuselage lower surface took a heap of tape, with so many tubes close to the skin. It's a patchwork of endless tapes and provisioning for 5 access cutouts. There's a lot of hours in that fuselage; it took me about 3 full on days to do it, which also included laying in the electrical harness, so it's close to the time it takes to do a wing, including rib stitching.

I've also set the turtledeck in place and installed all the camlocs. At this stage, it's not final trimmed because I'm waiting to set up the flaperon torque tubes and make all cuts at the same time. I'm also planning on putting a hinging arrangement like others to swing the turtledeck back section up for better baggage area access.

I haven't included photos at the moment because I'm having trouble compressing photo files to pixel counts that the site will accept. I'll keep working it and will post them when I've sorted it.
    David
    SS7 Builder