Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: I Want a Fox

Default I Want a Fox

Hello everyone,

I'm super new here at TeamKitfox. I do not own an airplane. I have a little flying experience, and for some reason I am drawn to the KitFox both building and flying. I desire to build as inexpensive as I can, but do desire to put an IFR panel in it in the end. My desire is to build the S7 Speedster. Does any one know of anyone in the Virginia area that has built/owns one or something similar?

I would love to have some one that I could lean on during my build and getting ready to fly... If anyone know anyone I live in Chesapeake, VA near Norfolk and Virginia Beach area.

Sincerely,

Wil (green fox)

Default Re: I Want a Fox

Try to hook up with a local EAA chapter. Even if there aren't other Kitfox builders, there will probably be people who have built something similar.

An IFR panel is at odds with keeping the cost low. It would be several thousand more dollars just to make it legal for IFR. To be decent IFR, probably a $10k or more premium over a VFR pane, and the additional weight would be significant. If you are new to flying, you might want to spend a year or two renting to see what your true 80% mission looks like. The Kitfox isn't really the right plane if you frequently need an IFR cruiser. You can always rent an IFR plane if you only need one rarely.

Good luck on your choice. You're at the second best place to get answers to your questions. (Kitfox Aircraft being the best.)

I just joined my local EAA Chapter this weekend. We had our annual Chili-fly today. I met a few people that own Van's and one Long Easy no KitFox folks. However, I'm sure there is a wealth of information there to help me. It would be nice to find a KitFox owner nearby though.

Yea, I figured it would add to my price tag for the panel, but that is where I want to splurge on the build and may the engine. It will primarily be used for VFR, but isn't most GA aircraft My wife and I plan to use it to tour the Country in our retired years, and although I do not find joy in flying actual IFR, it would be nice to be capable... One of my EAA members that I met this week said he put a Dynon IFR system in his airplane that he finished recently for around 20 thousand. However he does have a Van's RV.

Wil

Inexpensive, IFR, and Kitfox 7 Do NOT belong in the same sentence unless 80-100K is chump change for you.

Wil - if the delivery angel is even close to being on schedule, I should be starting my SS7 NLT mid April. I'm in Virginia (Amissville) - quite a bit west of you but if you are ever in the area I'd be pleased to show you what shows up. (BTW - I'll be in Chesapeake on the 24th and 25th of this month taking the EAA sponsored fabric covering class. Something you might consider in preparation for your build as well.)

Darrel

Quote Originally Posted by greenfox View Post
    One of my EAA members that I met this week said he put a Dynon IFR system in his airplane that he finished recently for around 20 thousand. However he does have a Van's RV.

Wil
    Not necessarily impossible, but do your homework. No Dynon system is IFR legal on it's own. At a minimum, you need a certified GPS. To really be an IFR plane, you'll want a nav/ils radio and indicator. This can easily be $7-$10k worth of equipment if you find used or remanufactured components. That's before you even get to a PFD, switches, fuses, autopilot, wires, adahrs, elt, intercom, etc. If you want something like a GNS430 in a Dynon panel, I don't think $20k is going to get you there. Forget about anything newer.

Like I say, not necessarily impossible, but it would be tough, and likely involve installing pretty dated equipment. Sure it would be nice to have the capability, but you won't keep your cost down if you install all the "nicetohaves". I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but if you are retired, don't enjoy IFR, and want to control costs, why not just wait for better weather and enjoy the Kitfox as god intended?

My wife is a professional pilot and her philosophy is if you don’t have anti ice systems, there is no point in being true IFR. The nthermostat ce thing about panels is you can upgrade them. If I were you I’d start with your budget plane that’s VFR with room to grow and add things as you see fit/have a need for.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Greenfox, I sent you a private message. Just checking to make sure you got it. James Thomas

Smile Re: I Want a Fox

Nice to see some other Virginia folks in here! I'm in Front Royal and looking to build soon.