Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Protective coating removal

Default Protective coating removal

Hi out there,
    I'm trying to remove the plastic film on my KF iv flaperons, i,ve tried mek,ammonia,heat, and more can any of you help.
    Thanks, Iain Scotland UK

Default Re: Protective coating removal

Iain, I used a gel type paint remover with a plastic scraper as recommended by Debra at Kitfox. (She can deny that and I would back her up, we don't need any liability issues popping up. But that is what I used.) Brush it on and wait awhile for it to work. It wrinkled the plastic wrap and then was removable with the plastic scraper. Don't do it in your living room while your watching TV, don't ask how I know.

I also used a gel type paint remover on flaperons that were over 15 years old. Tried bunches of other stuff first. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by 896tr View Post
    Iain, I used a gel type paint remover with a plastic scraper as recommended by Debra at Kitfox. (She can deny that and I would back her up, we don't need any liability issues popping up. But that is what I used.) Brush it on and wait awhile for it to work. It wrinkled the plastic wrap and then was removable with the plastic scraper. Don't do it in your living room while your watching TV, don't ask how I know.
    Many thanks, I'll try nitromors or silmiliar we are having good weather here so I'll do it outside and let you know how I get on.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I also used a gel type paint remover on flaperons that were over 15 years old. Tried bunches of other stuff first. JImChuk
    Hi Jim, I'll try nitromors a gel type stripper and let you know how I get on.

Iain